Couch to 5 K

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Worldsend

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Any mad person on here doing C25K?

I'm on W8R3 still think I'm going to die each time I go out but I'm getting better

Yes
My wife did it first then I have it a go. Had to take break near the end with achilles tendonitis first one then the other side. Restarted again around oct and I go back to doing 30min 2-3x/week. Now right hip / sacroiliac joint playing up so not been out since last Monday.
Mind is willing but body can't last the course.
I'm still cycling into work so getting some exercise
What I found important with the jogging is don't ignore the warm up and wind down .

Any mad person on here doing C25K?

I'm on W8R3 still think I'm going to die each time I go out but I'm getting better

Do you have a local running club and do they do starters courses?
My OH started 2 years ago at the age of 64 and is doing half marathons in reasonable time now. I started running and then came up with health issues which are ongoing.

I think that starting running with the support of a club is a good idea as they provide coaching and motivation to keep you going.bee-smillie

I ran the London Marathon in 2006 and foolishly thought I could do it again ten years later at the age of 65. My body rebelled during training at 13 miles so I tried again this year and the same thing happened. In disgust and horribly aware that I have to preserve some fitness I spent a fortune on a gym standard rower ( I could have bought a Flow hive ;) )
So now I have a gentle 3 mile loop in the country lanes that I enjoy two or three times a week and once or twice a month or so I do 6 miles. Once the pressure is off it's easy.

You've started so just keep going. The trick in training, even for short distances is to go two steps forward and one back, get a longer run in then drop back for your next one. Good luck

PS
I think that starting running with the support of a club is a good idea as they provide coaching and motivation to keep you going.bee-smillie

That is good advice. It works well for some. Me? I'm a lone runner and hate having to talk to another runner while I'm out

Last edited:
There's a few different c25k apps.
Knee issues keep interrupting my schedule, too many miles on this clock.
Nice thing about the app I have is the ability to repeat / step back to an easier workout until comfortable to proceed.

As already said, plenty of stretching.

There's a few different c25k apps.
Knee issues keep interrupting my schedule, too many miles on this clock.
Nice thing about the app I have is the ability to repeat / step back to an easier workout until comfortable to proceed.

As already said, plenty of stretching.

I'm not into running about for the sake of it. My keep fit regime involves mucking out stables and riding my 'oss. If you've never ridden try it for an hour then see how long it takes for your untrained leg muscles to stop hurting. :icon_204-2:

I did C25K two years ago but then faded off when I started having knee issues. I was 45 then. I never got beyond 5K distance but coped okay with it.
I'm back at it again now as I joined a DW gym, but it's been recommended I do more resistance training rather than cardio. My main issue has always been a bad back which always gets worse during beekeeping season; leaning over brood chambers and lifting boxes. My job is largely desk/computer based which doesn't help.
So I do an abs class, a yoga class and two bodypump classes (barbell) each week along with some running, rowing, swimming, etc. My bad back is now much better.

Having never darkened the door of a gym before, I'm amazed at the size of the place and the number of older people who attend, esp aged 60s plus.
I find it hard to stay motivated and struggle to truly enjoy hard exercise, but I love how I feel when I leave the gym every time.

I stopped running when 65 as my hamstrings kept failing.
(Yoga is actually better for your body as you age as it increases joint and muscle flexibility and solves muscular problems with backs..The latter is rather useful if you are a beekeeper.)

Sorry for OT.

Rollerskiing is much more joint friendly and so much more fun than boring running. I can happily set off from home and ski 5k. My knees wouldn't bear the run
Cazza

If you are experiencing knee problems, my advice is to forget about any form of running.

:iagree:, running is bad news for your heart and joints, why make a the heart muscle bigger surgery will be required sooner or later, why wear your joints out running on hard ground.
Walk a bit more it is beneficial.

I used to do Kyokushinkai, it's full contact, knockdown Karate and I can honestly say the training was superb for fitness, strength, flexibility and endurance. It was the fittest I've ever been and I ran the Cardiff marathon on Karate training alone. The only drawback was sparring or competition bouts, this was when you picked up injuries. In one competition I was on the receiving end of a poorly executed thigh kick, which hit my knee instead. It was nothing too serious, enough to end the bout but no 'real' damage but decades later, if I run I certainly feel it.

Latest posts

Back