Cotoneaster bee haven

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kay

New Bee
Reaction score
Hi I have a cottoneaster in front garden and over the years it's got busier and busier with bees (honey bees I think)
Every time someone walks past now numers fly out frightening them.
Is there likely a nest, and is it safe to cut back the shrub please?

Bees are very attracted to the flowers of this plant. As it doesn't flower all year, have you noticed bees coming and going at all when it has not been flowering? Perhaps attach a photo of the plant and that might help? Is it up against a structure?

Our cotoneaster is a magnet for bees, mainly bumbles, and the odd Queen wasp. If they are causing a problem you could give it a good prune and reduce the amount of flowers. It's very unlikely there is a 'nest' in the shrub, except maybe a bird's nest or two.

Reactions: Kay
Hi Kay
Are you in the U.K.?
Maybe not because the usual cotoneaster is a spring flowering plant
My late summer C franchetti is still in flower though and is a wasp magnet. You can trim that one but you will have the same problem next year
Could we have a picture of the insect?
Also it would be helpful if you could add where you live in your profile

Hi Kay
Are you in the U.K.?
Maybe not because the usual cotoneaster is a spring flowering plant
My late summer C franchetti is still in flower though and is a wasp magnet. You can trim that one but you will have the same problem next year
Could we have a picture of the insect?
Also it would be helpful if you could add where you live in your profile
Thank you I am in Essex UK

Bees are very attracted to the flowers of this plant. As it doesn't flower all year, have you noticed bees coming and going at all when it has not been flowering? Perhaps attach a photo of the plant and that might help? Is it up against a structure?

Attachments

• IMG_20200806_082836.jpg
    IMG_20200806_082836.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20200806_082802.jpg
    IMG_20200806_082802.jpg
    490 KB · Views: 45
Photos attached advice on plant and bees would be welcome. Thanks

They are honey bees but I am not convinced that it is a cotoneaster. Will try and identify it for you. The bees will do no one any harm. They are just getting nectar from the flowers. If you don't want it then cut it down but oh what a pity, bees are good for the planet!

They are honey bees but I am not convinced that it is a cotoneaster. Will try and identify it for you. The bees will do no one any harm. They are just getting nectar from the flowers. If you don't want it then cut it down but oh what a pity, bees are good for the planet!
Thank you I wasn't intending to cut it down, I know lots of bees are in decline. Just seeking advice on safely managing this for Pedestrians complaining 😊

It’s a Honeyberry. Kay. Does it have black fruit?

I suggest attaching a notice to alert pedestrians until it has finished flowering. “Beware - bees”. Then cut it back / good pruning and it will regenerate for next year, but would be more under control.
As Enrico says, it would be a pity to remove the nectar source now.

Hello Kay.

honeybees love cotoneaster which flowers in spring, That is not a cotoneaster but nice to see the honeybees on it.

There will be no 'nest' so you can relax on that one.

Foraging bees will not bother anyone as they are pretty focused on the job in hand.

BTW, look like your shrub could do with a good pruning later.

Looks very similar to my coralberry Symphoricarpos orbiculatus Tiny flowers but bees et al go mad when they open.

There are cotoneasters that bees adore. I have a couple planted by the apiary in my garden and there are a couple in the village which become covered with honey bees on a good day. The bigger the bush, the more they are drawn to it.

There are cotoneasters that bees adore. I have a couple planted by the apiary in my garden and there are a couple in the village which become covered with honey bees on a good day. The bigger the bush, the more they are drawn to it.
We had a grant to refurbish the carpark in the village (which also serves the community centre) part of the scheme was the carpark got surrounded by a small wall/flower bed, which was neglected for years. When I became chair of parks , I had the borders planted with pollinator friendly perrenials, mostly cotoneaster horizontalis (my favourite), there was also a large bed with a memorial stone in the middle which is now cotoneaster, lavenders and buddleja. It's a fantastic sight in spring, we come out of council meetings in the evening to see clouds of all kinds of bee and butterflies.

Its not a coteneaster because coteneaster normally has alternate leaves and is often evergreen. Its not a coralberry either because the flowers are different. Her indoors with her Horticultural Diplomas says its a type honeysuckle because of its opposing leaves and trumpet like flowers. Yes its OK to cut it back just to tidy it up for now as the leaves will still be taking in nutrients. Come winter when the leaves have died off take a look at the framework of the shrub and then you can decide what to cut back and what to leave.

edit: If its overhanging the footpath you really should cut it back to within your boundary.

Latest posts

Back