Cosy covers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Miriads
Have sourced a number of good quality WBC brood boxes in Western Red Cedar.

Thinking of making cosyies out of Cellotex/Kingspan ... what thickness should be used....

Hope Derek M sees this!

NOTE TO MODERATOR... if this thread is hijacked by the usual forum idiots... could you delete their posts!

Thanks
Chons da

Have sourced a number of good quality WBC brood boxes in Western Red Cedar.

Thinking of making cosyies out of Cellotex/Kingspan ... what thickness should be used....

Hope Derek M sees this!

NOTE TO MODERATOR... if this thread is hijacked by the usual forum idiots... could you delete their posts!

Thanks
Chons da

Are you trying to make the celotex/kingspan lifts to look like a wbc hive. To be robust a minimum of 50mm.

Are you trying to make the celotex/kingspan lifts to look like a wbc hive. To be robust a minimum of 50mm.

No... have a stack of lifts!

These are new and unassembled.. complete with nail packs!
Will use standard underfloor entrance OM floors made specifically to fit, as with roofs and crownboards.

50mm kingspan, strapped with plastic corners and plastic packaging tape machine... need to find some stainless steel tape clips.

Will have a few colonies of Cornish Native Amm to overwinter!

When I can find time that is!

Yeghes da

"Will have a few colonies of Cornish Native Amm to overwinter!"

They must be those imported natives if they need the celotex then:svengo:

Obviously not well adapted to those mild Cornish Winters if needing cosies.

The problem with wbc inner boxes is they are to flimsy, bits start splitting and falling off particularly with a little age/use

glue the celotex to the boxes to give them rigidity?

Much easier to buy a poly hive and be done with all this cosy winter stuff that you need to store when not in use.

I would use 50mm.(my covers are 50mm, 4 years old and still going strong)

And I would paint with a solvent paint like hammerite as it will do much to protect surfaces. (I used water based which lasts but gives no protection to knocks. Masonry paint tends to peel from stressed areas- at least I find it does.

I would use 50mm.(my covers are 50mm, 4 years old and still going strong)

And I would paint with a solvent paint like hammerite as it will do much to protect surfaces. (I used water based which lasts but gives no protection to knocks. Masonry paint tends to peel from stressed areas- at least I find it does.

Thanks... some good points.

But as expected some replies that add nothing to the request for practical advice:calmdown:, and thanks to those who PM'd me with helpful links.

Have a surplus of 25 WRC, WBC brood boxes still flat packed... probably been in storage for 15 years.

Instead of using up the Paynes and Masie polly nucs to overwinter this years new bees, and buying even more in,I gave some thought to utilising the WBC brood boxes.
Obviously the thermal coefficient value of 12mm WRC is going to be low, and I can lay my paws on loads of offcuts of 50mm Cellotex/Kingspan.. for free.
Bespoke floors with a bit of open mesh and roofs are simple to make... and have acquired another scrapped aluminum caravan to cut up for roofs.

A packaging plastic tape kit from Mr Wong is about £50 on ebay, but the clips are mild steel, probably OK if painted?.... plastic extrusion for corners.. even flight case thick stuff works out about £4 per box.

Have 10 liters of garish purple gloss hammerite type paint I was going to paint the garage doors with...now replaced with new roller type electric( even though there is no space for a car in there!!)

£15 - £16 per box finished.. even if I had to buy in 50mm Kingspan from Travis Perkins?

What is the best type of adhesive to use.... would stick the 50mm cover to the WRC.

Only annoying thing is the standard type National roof I already use do not fit, and all the BHS polly hive roofs I have are in use... but would fit.. just!

Any more thoughts???

For roofs you could considering using kingspan type stuff but face it with correx board - available in various colours. there are adhesives made especially for bonding celotex/kingspan.

For roofs you could considering using kingspan type stuff but face it with correx board - available in various colours. there are adhesives made especially for bonding celotex/kingspan.

Good idea... have loads of correx I use for crownboards and dummy board infill!

PLUS a general election coming up... candidates face down of course!!!

Chons da

I use 5 minute PU glue..https://tinyurl.com/yxkv5chk (available in tubes as well)

The plus points:
expands to fill in gaps.
easy to apply.
Is very strong
Cheap.

If you remove surplus before set, it is easy to get a reasonably smooth finish.Otherwise cut off or sand down when hard.
The bad:
ruins clothes when used. wear old ones.
You MUST wear gloves when applying- turns BLACK on hands and you can't sand them down - although a pumice stone works wonders (I use vinyl gloves)
Not a really strong joint until 2-3 hours
Set time varies with temperature.

Chons da

It would be too tempting to strategically place the smoker if they were face up!:ot:

Chons da

Funny old thing that. I use 'expired' political signage as well in that way.

I used to faff about with cosy celotex covers on my ceder hives over winter a while back..i found them a PITA and smashed them up and bought a load of Abelo poly hives..job sorted for any time of the year,,

I am either more patient, more foolish or a Scot.. or all three..:paparazzi:

Latest posts

Back