Cost of hive bodies and frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finman

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
I am astonished that in UK frames prices are 3 times that of Finland and Sweden.

in UK one frame is 1,5 € and 10 to whole box is 15 euros.
That is huge sum because poly hive store is 15 €.... And we need 5 boxes to each hive.

If you renew frames every 2 or 3 years, and not recycle frames that is expencive job.

* Langstroth frame parts 100 pieces is here 50 €/ £ 44

* In UK 100 Langstroth frames are about 150 €/ £ 130 ????

Finnish prices http://www.hunaja.fi/default.asp?id=...pos=20&page=20

British: http://www.honeyshop.co.uk/frames.html

Sweden same price as in Finland http://www.lpsbiodling.se/cgi-bin/ib...td&Kampanj_ID=

Sweden II 87€ / £ 77....Joel Svenssons Vaxfabrik AB ...still half that of UK.

We finally beat Scandanavia on something. That it's on price as well is a double bonus :biggrinjester:

You've posted these price comparisons elsewhere and, having had a chance to mull over why this might be, abundant local pine for making the frames, whereas we presumably import it, might have something to do with it perhaps? (I don't know for sure, just guessing)

If you want to get frames outboard, take a contact to Poland or to Estonia.
Then you must control strictly the quality of wood material.

We bye much frames from Estonia. They are a great dimension quality but too often the wooden stick will curve in the hive.
Reason is twigs or curved tree trunk. Material is pruce or pine.

Central European pruce is very soft to make frames, what I have seen that material. Germany byes much wood from Russia.

A Finnish pine forest - high quality. Trees are about 15-20 m high.

20080709_1449.jpg

Last edited:
i make two trips a year to france and europe the wife belives they are called long weekend but i go only to buy bee equipment either thompsons or to a friend in germany, the best place for quality was france for timber, the government still controls alot of the wood sources, i have been to denmark for frames but was not impressed 4 months later around a third where curving, dont buy from poland unless you realy know what you are doing and you have the frames in the car, the further east one goes the more stupid the british become , beliving everyone is a hard up peasant and they find to there cost when they order two hundred frames and get sent nothing , when i go to buy things from east europe i take cash and the friends brother in law , the deal is this before i leave i have already agreed a price , say £100 i will tel him that he can have half the saving he produces, so if he saves me £20 i will pay him £10, i save he gets paid and i go home filled to the brim with broom handles lovely

Finman?

Why do you think we are called "Rip off Britain" or as Volkswagen said, "Treasure Island"?

Because we get overcharged for pretty much everything.

PH

Finman you could start supplying us with frames and parts :)

Finman?

Why do you think we are called "Rip off Britain" or as Volkswagen said, "Treasure Island"?

Because we get overcharged for pretty much everything.

PH

I have never seen or heard that? From wikipedia: "Rip-off Britain is an expression coined by the tabloid press in the late 1990s to describe some products and services costing significantly more in the United Kingdom than in other places, especially the United States..."

But in my country I may pay douple price from something in the city and in countryside it is something else. There are mad prices here and folks pay it.

Overcharged - yes - That is why you have so much foot ball huligans? ... Hyperactivated by balls?

Last edited:
Might have to look into this a bit more. If the price difference is that great retail then I do wonder what it would cost to ship a few pallets over.

Interesting that the www.swienty.dk site charges less for 250 Langstroth Frames if you view the site in German than if you view it in English. View in English it's €.85 a frame, in German it's €.81 a frame, €10 difference plus shipping cost.

Latest posts

Back