Corn Gromwell

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foxylad

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Theres a field of corn gromwell about to flower where I could potentially place some hives. It’s part of the borage family. Anyone had any experience getting a crop of it?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 34
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 33
Theres a field of corn gromwell about to flower where I could potentially place some hives. It’s part of the borage family. Anyone had any experience getting a crop of it?
I have never heard of this but Wiki says it is a pollen and nectar source and is being grown for its oil seed. I’ve asked the beekeeper plant expert on FB

Wo love to know before I move a load of hives. The farmer is growing it for seed, he does a lot of seed producing from plants.

From Howse:
"Both the wild and garden species of gromwell or borage-worts...... are sometimes visited by hive bees.......nectar is secreted by the ovary and collects at the base of the corolla tube which in the case of the corn gromwell is 4.5 mm long.....they are probably nowhere of special importance as honey plants' of course he talks of them as weeds occuring o headlands and waste ground not as a commercial crop, so I would fathom a guess as it is grown intensively, may be of use.

Wo love to know before I move a load of hives. The farmer is growing it for seed, he does a lot of seed producing from plants.
I’ve asked and been told yes go for it. Related to borage so honey might be similar. He’s asked me to let him know how the bees do on it so keep us in the loop.

Will do I’ll get a few moved next week. I will let you know how it does.

Haven't heard of it, interesting though

It’s organic, probably why it looks a little weam.

Latest posts

Back