Converting solid wood floor into mesh floor

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhill20

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
44ish
Hi guys,
Did i read a thread recently on converting a wooden floor into a mesh ! If not any good ideas how to do it .
Micky

I have all the woodworking skills of a slug and have managed to do this so it ain't difficult.
You need mesh which is available on t'internet or cheapish from your Th***** agent. (Advantage here is it's the right size for my nationals.)
Cut the right sized hole in your floor. ( I used a jigsaw.)
Then drawing pin the mesh on.
Easy to take off to clean.
If I can, you can.

Cazza

Last edited:
Cut some holes and cover with mesh? That is what I did on my earlier conversions. Organising a varroa check/test tray need some lateral thinking, although Th*rne do one which will go into a hive opening (except WBC

I just knocked up a batch from scratch recently. Easy enough to do as long as you can cut square. The galv expanded mesh floors from the major suppliers are good to hold things square. I used mesh from 'The Mesh Company'. Good prices and good service.

Regards, RAB

I have all the woodworking skills of a slug and have managed to do this so it ain't difficult.
You need mesh which is available on t'internet or cheapish from your Th***** agent. (Advantage here is it's the right size for my nationals.)
Cut the right sized hole in your floor. ( I used a jigsaw.)
Then drawing pin the mesh on.
Easy to take off to clean.
If I can, you can.

Cazza

Yes indeed! My slug-like abilities also enabled me to do the same.

One thing that makes it a little easier is to drill a hole in each corner of the desired rectangular hole. Then you've got somewhere to start (and end) with the jig-saw on each side.

It's simple enough as has been outlined above.

I've done three. Draw the outline of the inside of the broodbox and cut to shape with a jigsaw. The remaining floor edges are more than sufficient to support the weight of brood/super boxes and roof - if you're worried strengthen the floor margins with 2"x1" or similar . Use mesh as described.
Make rails from lengths of appropriate stripwood screwed or nailed at right angles. I used 6mm ply to make a tray.

Last edited:
I found the mesh really hard to cut - any tips for a cack-handed skill-less newbee? I ended up covered in tiny little cuts, which stang like hell!

Queens59,

Expanded metal or wire mesh?

Small pieces of expanded metal will fold and fracture; larger bits - I use my guillotine (it will cut 4mm steel, I think); sheets - know someone with a large sheet guillotine or take your time with a 'nibbler'.

Wire mesh - large, good quality shears or one might clamp securely between pieces of wood and jigsaw. Use a 'nibbler'. All basic metalworking tools, knocking around the workshop, if I can lay my hands on them and get the air compressor running!

Seems like you needed to be wearing some good protective gloves!

Regards, RAB

I agree with Oliver90Owner - wear gloves. I'd also suggest you engage an assistant to help you cut the mesh. Ideally the material to one side of the cut needs to be elevated as you cut, the other side needs to be pressed down.

Latest posts

Back