Converting from standard National BBs to 14" x 12" brood boxes??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goodbobby

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
5+
I originally started out on standard National BBs and am now looking to switch to 14" x 12" format BBs in the Spring, leaving supers at standard size. I have a number of spare standard National BBs and have made extension ekes ready for this change and have also purchased Hoffman 12" side bars to increase the new frame sizes and even wired extension foundation ! (so as not to waste my existing supplies of unused standard BB foundation).

Has anyone recent experience or advice concerning the methodics of switching existing colonies over to this bigger National BB format ?? I don't want to muddle through if others have a tried and hopefully successful system. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

You are meaning supers with the usual shallow size frames. Got to be careful when you say 'standard' as that indicates the size.

You don't really have a problem with just the one.

I fit is a strong colony. Add new brood box and allow to draw comb on a good flow. Then put big box on bottom, queen on the comb, queen excluder between, and wait three weeks. she will be laying downstairs, existing brood upstairs will hatch. Job done.

If not a full box, you can put the brood frames into the 14 x 12 with new foundation at the front and expand on to them. Shoe box or similar under the standard frames as a temporary measure to prevent comb on the bottom bars. Can be better as there is less space to keep warm. Lots of variations. Some might say just shake the bees into the new foundation and feed.

Change them over when strong and a flow is on (or giving them a good feed). Need lots of young bees and warmth for comb building.

I would be careful and use full frames of foundation for the change-over. You can use up your other foundation later when a mishap will not be so costly. I would more than likely cut it down for supers rather than to try using two pieces if you are a new beek.

Regards, RAB

even wired extension foundation ! (so as not to waste my existing supplies of unused standard BB foundation).

if i have to use standard brood foundation in a 14x12 i just put a shallow super foundation in the bottom half, overlapped slightly with the standard brood foundation and touch the joint in several place with a warmish ( not hot solder iron. idont bother with extension bits. i try to line up the hex as much as i can, bees seem not to mind the joint

i'll let others answer your main question of transfer up to 14x12s as i think you already have my veiws :)

Thankyou for guidance

Thanks Guys (RAB and MM), I now have a much better and clearer understanding of the process......

I fit is a strong colony. Add new brood box and allow to draw comb on a good flow. Then put big box on bottom, queen on the comb, queen excluder between, and wait three weeks. she will be laying downstairs, existing brood upstairs will hatch. Job done.

Regards, RAB

if the idea is to take away the old brood box wouldn't it be a better idea to leave the box that is to be taken away underneath so that when the three weeks is over it is empty rather than been used as a double sized super?

Agreed, but 6 of one and half a dozen of another. As I said, job done. Brood changed over. Small brood frames are another issue. Any honey collected would go somewhere. Better to get the one job out of the way. Other things to think of, like increase......

RAB

Once you have your 14 x 12 operating OK and there is no brood there will be some honey in there of course. Once you have a super on your 14 x 12, you can put the old brood chamber over the crown board with the bee escape removed. The bees should then take the honey down to their super.

One of your standard BS frames can always be used in the 14 x 12 brood box as the bees can make drone comb in the bottom few inches which you can cut out for varoa removal.

If you have some old dark brood comb, this is the best sort for a bait hive which you could set up somewhere. You might be lucky.

Adam

Latest posts

Back