Conversation with Sprayer.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poly Hive

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
12 and 18 Nucs
Bee Friendly conversation today. With sprayer.
This is a very large commercial farm with today on view in the yard several hundreds of thousands of pounds worth of machinery including the biggest John Deere tractors I have ever seen.

I was on the place last year and hope to be again this as they have a couple of hundred of acres of OSR.

The employee, as there appears to be only one of, assured me in all innocence that the insecticide spray which they would be using was "Bee Friendly" and so my hives would be fine.. Ho hum..

After a very friendly conversation he took my point about timing and informing me when he was going to do it and all was well. However, I was I have to admit a bit taken aback that such a high powered place, and very well informed too still had this misconception.

I would like the BBKA powers that be to read this wee tale of reality on the ground and have a think about it. I have no axe to grind I am just relating what happened with a very switched on outfit. They know they have to contact the spray liaison and as they are on the borders of three counties they intend talking to all three. I honestly cannot fault their operation bar the one (now corrected) misconception that bee friendly on the tin does not mean the bees are safe.

PH

I did notice in this months BBKA news they managed to get in the fact that the BBKA only endorse bee friendly insectecides not the nasty ones :confused:

In fact the whole magazine seemed to be made up with political mumbo jumbo about working parties and focus groups etc etc on and on and on.......

Members should be doing this and not that,and there was me thinking the association was run by its members.
Seems to me it is run by different committee people hell bent on being big brother,oh the power!!

Yes I know I should not say this as its very easy to moan whilst its up to us the members to make changes,but you did start it PH not me :laughing-smiley-004

I have posted the starter post on the BBKA as it is honestly a bit silly that so clued up people are confused by the phrase "bee friendly" and I am not talking about bee people but the farming fraternity.

PH

Poly hive why are you posting on both forums lol :cheers2:

Because I can.... :)

{[EDITED BY ADMIN] because my daughter reads this forum.}

Night.

PH

HMMM some interesting responses over there and also the usual party line being toed

David

Latest posts

Back