Contact or Rapid?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
None of my own
I've been using contact feeders exclusively so far, and the bees seem to be quite happy with them.

Was wondering if they are likely to be sufficient for the winter feed when its due, or should I be looking at getting a rapid feeder to help get it down quickly?

Any opinions or is this another unnecessary newbeek worry?

I think in an ideal world you perhaps have both gives you more options

In this month's Beecraft the article about preparing for Autumn discusses different types of feeder.

I have both, I find the contact feeder 2L takes about a week to empty giving the bees sustained feed between inspections however the rapid feeder they can take down in 2 days. So it is good to have both so one can feed quickly if needed or steadily feed up a growing hive etc.

No expert just my finding :hat:

The rate of feeding is a valid consideration but I have moved away from the contact feeders, at some point you have to turn it upside down and wait for the vacuum to hold the 'head' meanwhile you either have syrup on the ground to attract what ever or you've given the girls a syrup rinse if you have absent mindedly flip the feeder over above the open hive. Of course someone is now going to explain that they carry a washing up bowl with them to mange this operation, but they are just too messy for me. 2L plastic rapids for top-ups and treatments like fumidil (if required) and home made millers for quantity is my vote.

I use both.
Contact is OK when you get used to it - and yes I do take an empty margarine tub to turn it upside down into.

The interesting fact about the Beecraft article was that it states that a contact is more akin to a nectar flow and therefore should encourage the queen to keep laying, whereas a rapid feed is a big event for the colony and disrupts their normal process for a while.

Horses for courses.

Latest posts

Back