Contact feeders leaking

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floss

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Under advice I am feeding a couple of colonies in an attempt to draw foundation as I am short of drawn comb.

The feeders insist on slowly leaking - apparently from the mesh - but leaving quite a mess in the eke and trickling down the outside...flipping nuisance!... but I have used them before to good effect.

Any ideas why this might be? how to stop it and/or recommend other small feeder (that does'nt drown bees!

many thanks, Floss

Carefully clean the mesh and check for any leaks around the lid seal, if you know where its leaking seal that area with wax or pva glue if its the mesh.

Tx mike - I will have a look - it would appear that it is all 3 though!

Floss

I much prefer either frame or rapid feeders. Never contact feeders as they are just too prone to the problem that you've just described.

If you have a full BB then go down the rapid feeder route....but just trickle a bit of syrup down the central hole to let them know that it's there.

Under advice I am feeding a couple of colonies in an attempt to draw foundation as I am short of drawn comb.

The feeders insist on slowly leaking - apparently from the mesh - but leaving quite a mess in the eke and trickling down the outside...flipping nuisance!... but I have used them before to good effect.

Any ideas why this might be? how to stop it and/or recommend other small feeder (that does'nt drown bees!

many thanks, Floss

I have just had this problem as well. the contact feeder I have worked great last year but keeps leaking this year. I think I may change to the rapid feeders.

At the risk of repetition repetition ........
I dont use contact feeders either, I have messed up too many times and ended up with syrup on the ground under hives, attracting goodness knows what and risking robbing (mesh floors used).

Rapid feeders or millers (for high volumes) is all I use. The bucket from the rapid feeder is useful for putting brace comb in after I've cut it out though!

:hurray:

Latest posts

Back