Contact Bucket Feeder

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jezd

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
Anyone converted normal plastic bucket lids into a contact feeder, I guess you just make holes in the lid or is there a better way? ie get phosphor bronze mesh disc ?

Jez

Just drill very small holes in the lid. Then fill with water and test it over the sink, before using syrup.

Hi Jez,
If you can get hold of the mesh cut a hole the size you want in the plastic lid, cut the mesh about an inch bigger, then using a hot air gun with the lid on a flat surface warm the inside of the plastic lid. Then lay the mesh on and press down using a piece of wood the same size as the mesh. The mesh will imbed itself into the soft plastic.Bobs your uncle, you have a contact feeder
:cheers2:

Just don’t use them unreliable!
YOU should know this IN YOUR VENTURE TO BE A COMMERSHAL BEE FARMER? glug glug glub gulump splotch all gone I say no more?
all the best mike

Just don’t use them unreliable!
YOU should know this IN YOUR VENTURE TO BE A COMMERSHAL BEE FARMER? glug glug glub gulump splotch all gone I say no more?
all the best mike

lol made me smile Mike :) I knew it but wanted a nicer way to just sticking holes in the bucket

my real question was how to source the phosphor bronze mesh disc?

Last edited:
As Mike says they are unreliable. Miller or frame feeders are best.

PH

300 queens reply ?

As you all know I asked on this Forum if anybody could supply me with 300 queens I received NO serious replies. So as far as keep the queen’s native is concerned I tried.(For the Brigade of bigots”)
Useless information
We now have the new S/H 4x4 manatou 3 ton forklift arrived today, it unloaded the cold room panels off the Artic lorry this morning, (Thanks to hedgerow pete )
We have more than enough panels to make the 65ft x15f cold room that will enable us to shake the bees into packages faster on a 30ft conveyer with less bees able to fly off,
Get the idea JEZD!!!! confine them for 48 hours and they are ready to be shipped anywhere with a CLEAN health certificate.
The orders for next years UK Package bees has taken off very well there will be a limited amount 500 early season headed by AUSRALIAN queens.
All the best mike

As you all know I asked on this Forum if anybody could supply me with 300 queens I received NO serious replies. So as far as keep the queen’s native is concerned I tried.(For the Brigade of bigots”)
Useless information
We now have the new S/H 4x4 manatou 3 ton forklift arrived today, it unloaded the cold room panels off the Artic lorry this morning, (Thanks to hedgerow pete )
We have more than enough panels to make the 65ft x15f cold room that will enable us to shake the bees into packages faster on a 30ft conveyer with less bees able to fly off,
Get the idea JEZD!!!! confine them for 48 hours and they are ready to be shipped anywhere with a CLEAN health certificate.
The orders for next years UK Package bees has taken off very well there will be a limited amount 500 early season headed by AUSRALIAN queens.
All the best mike

Mike cut the crap and stick to the subject of the thread
(sorry admin just had to get that one in, what goes around comes around :) )

Useless information
All the best mike

Mike lmao (what are you on about??), I am but a speck of dust in this world, why would you even begin to focus on little old me? I have no idea what thats about....

I do wonder about some people :confused: is work stressing you out?

Still open to help on the contact feeder conversion mind?

Bucket feeders are not the best idea for feeding with as there is a definite risk that they can suddenly flood the colony.

PH

Hi EYNB
made a mistake it was NOT meant for this thread, AS YOU CAN SEE YOUR NAMES NOT ON THE POST IS IT?.
I will leave you to go on answering newbees questions as you seem able to cope very well with that, I might even recommend you.
My times taken up with other things, as my post is crap you might try to explain what the use of a refrigerated walk in cold room is for as I don’t think anyone else in the UK uses one.

All the best mike

Bucket feeders are not the best idea for feeding with as there is a definite risk that they can suddenly flood the colony.

PH

I do understand and agree with what you are saying, the reason for using is based on advice from another beek who’s opinion I value equally – every beek has a different opinion and view is what I have found.

I already have 50 clean food grade buckets and one specific feeding task to do in the next couple of weeks - that is my situation.

I just didn’t like the punching hole approach and liked these http://www.paynesbeefarm.co.uk/store/Contact-Bucket-Feeder-p-16358.html

Jez

Hi Jez,
Try this link, for a mesh, which should be fine enough for your requirement, or Google "Phosphor bronze mesh" for more alternatives. At £4.99 per A4 sheet it might fit the bill. :cheers2:

Hi EYNB
made a mistake it was NOT meant for this thread, AS YOU CAN SEE YOUR NAMES NOT ON THE POST IS IT?.
I will leave you to go on answering newbees questions as you seem able to cope very well with that, I might even recommend you.
My times taken up with other things, as my post is crap you might try to explain what the use of a refrigerated walk in cold room is for as I don’t think anyone else in the UK uses one.

All the best mike

Well a walk in refrigerated cold room is for two things Mike.
1.Keeping things cold on a large scale to reduce spoiling e.g fruit and veg
2. In your case it is to use temperature to subdue the bees before you start to sort out your packages, thus reduce the number of bee in the air. i.e all the bees go into the packages and not half of them flying about in the air thinking I'm not going in there. Does that about cover it ????
I may be new at beekeeping but I am not stupid. :ack2:

Jedz

Is'nt Phosphor bronze mesh a bit OTT for this application? Plastic mesh would do fine and cheaper.

Mike, are you planning to use the cold room to freeze your body when you die and then be thawed out in the future?:spam:

Hi JimB',
You are very probably right, but I seem to recollect that most of the pictures I have seen look like they use PB mesh. Thinking about it, a patch of fabric taken from the tail of my shirt would probably suffice. I can't say for certain though because bucket feeders aren't on my list for consideration and so my actual experience is admitted to be zero. :)

I was answering a question that seemed not to be getting answered, but I do appreciate your comment, aposite as it was. The answer was right, but the solution was far from being the best. I assumed PB mesh because I perceived a degree of stiffness and fine pore size were required, but tension would, I guess, pass for that innate stiffness.

thanks everyone, something to work on, Jez

Latest posts

Back