Confident or foolhardy?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the old boy has seen his fair share of swarms. And stings for that matter.

good vid tho

It's not how I would have done it. Odd that the one bit of interest is missing - when he must have shaken or hit the branch to drop the bees into the hive. After then I would have just left the hive in the same position after replacing the roof and come back in the evening to take it away. Not sure what he is trying to do on the video blowing masses of smoke at them and apparently planning to take the hive away while there are lots of bees still flying.

The words "not a clue" keep springing to mind.

That grandpa has a little bit moulded head.

By draging the hive it is easy to kill the queen.

When swarm is settling down, you cannot smoke them like in mad.

But at that age it is good that he is moving. Age is perhaps 90 years.

No he's allowed to do that, I am pretty sure I saw a government health warning on the side of the smoker and I dont think he inhaled. You are assuming that it was just rolled up cardboard in there aren't you!

Seems likely his bees, so he would know their temperament, but swarms are generally docile anyway (bees are gorged with honey).

As others said I would not have done it quite like that, but saying that, a quick jerk to drop the swarm onto the hive is likely no worse than into a box. If there were some brood in the box I would have left it once the queen was in and collected it when quiet.

Probably better, and just as easy, to have collected them in a box and run them into a hive body in the evening. No drama and not really worth recording, if done like that.

Regards, RAB

Why oh why do people do these stupid things in the name of beekeeping. No Vail covering the head dear oh dear. W"hat type of example is that to set up for beginners? Standards that's what its all about keeping up high standards.

There was certainly more than one strategic withdrawal in there. The weather seemed sunny, so the heavy coat probably wasn't to keep warm.

A very effective smoker though, I have to admit.

i like the way he starts to smoke his head half way through :smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

me too, its like ok, now lets try plan 'b' smoke myself!!

I'm a Grandpa a Great Grandpa in fact and am well used to handling bees and dealing with swarms:).
All I can say is senility seems to have set in with the old guy , he's obviously forgotten that smoke is never effective when bees are in cruise mode , also they require open stores to feed on in order to maintain calm !.
Now had he sprayed them with a weak sugar solution to keep them together , dropped they into the box , placed the lid on and retired gracefully , he could so easily have avoided pneumonicosis :svengo:.

John Wilkinson

Latest posts

Back