condensation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darren64

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I am getting a lot of condensation dripping from inside the hive onto the varroa board,I have a dummy board in,and an insulated roof,will it stop when I removed the varroa board after I've finished treatment and there is a bit more ventilation through the OM floor?

Darren, put some matchstick size spacers under each corner of the cover board to create a small gap and allow ventilation on the inner walls of the hive.

Not sure what you mean by dummy board?

Richard

will it stop when I removed the varroa board after I've finished treatment and there is a bit more ventilation through the OM floor?

Yep. I would guess that moisture from inside the hive might be condensing on the cold plastic surface of the varroa board - assuming it is plastic - rather than condensation forming on the crownboard.

. Like midlanbeek says the phenomenom may be simply that the warm moist hive air meets the cold tray and then condensation happens. It is like respiration air condences onto car window.
This happens in the middle of the summer when night is cool.

You may make windows clean with ventilation or adding the heat inside the car.
The balance between heat and ventilation is a solution, not either or.

The treatment is not add ventilation but lead the condensed water away from hive.

If you add ventilation, it makes harm to brood. Bees must work harder to keep the hive warm.

The colder the hive the more condensation happens inside the hive.
When the box is warm, the warm hive air's dew point is outside the hive or on very cold surface.

.the difference between two air mass makes the condensation.
36 c respiraton air and 10c outer air.

Last edited:
:iagree: with all the above.

won't be a problem when board is out. won't be condensation from anywhere else in hive (at this time) because given the mass of bees we all still have filling & moving around in the spaces between frames there is no way that actual drips/drops of water would be able to make their way down through to the floor - unless your "condensation" droplets are actually lying in parallel lines on the varroa board!!!! (the OMF would also have water droplets trapped in the mesh in this case too).

Are you feeding at the moment? I have found that the higher humidity as the bees evaporate the excess moisture from the syrup is enough to cause condensation and stops as soon as feeding stops.

Latest posts

Back