Condensation and Slugs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karsal

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 Pay*es Poly Hives 7 Poly Nucs
All my nine Paynes poly nucs and national hives have suffered terribly this year with water filling the channel where the metal frame runners are. I did think that the seal between the brood box and the super full of stores was leaking but water was even collecting in the super above and this had the roof on top.
I've experienced water collecting in previous years but not to this extent. All were on five frames approx going into winter with plenty of stores.
Slugs have also made their way into these wet channels with upwards of 10 slugs in some hives all about the size of your thunb so not small. The frames are mouldy and black so I've united some colonies and thrown away all the mouldy black frames leaving me with three colonies.
I have my apiary on a braken covered hillside full of ferns. Two previous years I put road rock salt around each leg of the hive stands and slugs were not a problem. I forgot to do the same last year
I am contemplating tilting my hives slightly forward and cutting the runner short to allow any water to run away.
I'm at a loss as this is the first time in eight years I've experienced such a mess and loss of bees.

I use hive stands with legs, and wrap copper tape round those legs. It seems to stop slugs.

I have no poly experience so cannot advise on the condensation issue, though it sounds to me like the metal was the coldest thing so acted as a condensation point. I would be interested to know if this is general to all poly hives, or just Paynes.

I see slugs in some of my hives from time to time (Paynes poly, especially after winter, especially in higher condensation hives). I just remove them, not a real issue.

All my nine Paynes poly nucs and national hives have suffered terribly this year with water filling the channel where the metal frame runners are. I did think that the seal between the brood box and the super full of stores was leaking but water was even collecting in the super above and this had the roof on top.
I've experienced water collecting in previous years but not to this extent. All were on five frames approx going into winter with plenty of stores.
Slugs have also made their way into these wet channels with upwards of 10 slugs in some hives all about the size of your thunb so not small. The frames are mouldy and black so I've united some colonies and thrown away all the mouldy black frames leaving me with three colonies.
I have my apiary on a braken covered hillside full of ferns. Two previous years I put road rock salt around each leg of the hive stands and slugs were not a problem. I forgot to do the same last year
I am contemplating tilting my hives slightly forward and cutting the runner short to allow any water to run away.
I'm at a loss as this is the first time in eight years I've experienced such a mess and loss of bees.
Yuck I hate slugs

Interesting, that seems to be a problem with poly that needs fixing. Looking forward to reading the comments!

I see slugs in some of my hives from time to time (Paynes poly, especially after winter, especially in higher condensation hives). I just remove them, not a real issue.
I find them occasionally in my Paynes polys - usually in the space behind the dummy boards where the bees can't get at them .. I don't like them but the bees seem to tolerate them (albeit where they can't get at them). My new dummy boards are all celotex and sit flush with the back wall of the hive so I am hopeful it will solve the problem.

I put copper tape around the hive legs which seems to deter the slugs but it degrades very quickly .. I was told that slugs dislike rough surfaces so I'm going to try impregnating some paint at the lower parts of the stand legs with some sharp sand and see if that helps.

I have occasional slugs in all my hives.
But no water sloshing around in my home made polynucs.

So obviously there is a design fault..

Take it up with the supplier - send them photos and ask for a better one or a refund.

I have occasional slugs in all my hives.
But no water sloshing around in my home made polynucs.

So obviously there is a design fault..

Take it up with the supplier - send them photos and ask for a better one or a refund.
I run Paynes poly hives and poly nucs ... never had water sloshing around anywhere ..mind you .. I have super full of insulation on the top of all my hives (including the nucs) so there is rarely any sign of condensation. I find the Nuc roof totally watertight and the overhand on the hive roofs the same.

I always had a condensation problem with the original Paynes poly nucs and hives, until I glued two inches of Celotex onto the roofs
Look up cold roof / warm roof. If you understand it that’ll cure any condensation problems.

Latest posts

Back