Concerns on appearance

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abm

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi, i’ve removed a feral colony from inside a building and came across this drone brood. At first nothing untoward caught my eye as i have several things ongoing whilst removing and framing comb. It wasn’t until home going through my images i noticed this appearance. This comb was left of of the nuk due to available space.

Attachments

• 5376EDBD-93D3-4CD6-8B45-008C12791189.jpeg
    5376EDBD-93D3-4CD6-8B45-008C12791189.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 143
From the same removal.

From the same removal.

Attachments

• A2DC50FC-732F-45C6-83FB-5C274092F76A.jpeg
    A2DC50FC-732F-45C6-83FB-5C274092F76A.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 76
The second photo looks like good capped worker brood and the first photo looks like drone brood that has had some of the capping damaged (by being abraded and/or squashed against something), and then with honey over the top of it. Some of the capped worker brood does seem to have suffered some similar squashing too however (left comb, top centre).

Hi, i’ve removed a feral colony from inside a building and came across this drone brood. At first nothing untoward caught my eye as i have several things ongoing whilst removing and framing comb. It wasn’t until home going through my images i noticed this appearance. This comb was left of of the nuk due to available space.

Those holes in the brood comb maybe chalkbrood.

As above first pic looks like drone 2nd and 3rd worker. The missed cells look larger for some reason but may just be illusion or photo it’s not clear when enlarged.

Drone brood was the first image on new comb, worker brood on darker comb

That looks to me like the bees are practicing varroa trapping in the drone brood - I have seen similar in untreated colonies. Opening and recapping to remove mites.

That looks to me like the bees are practicing varroa trapping in the drone brood - I have seen similar in untreated colonies. Opening and recapping to remove mites.

So they say/ hope, but I noticed that it is chalk brood.

I meant that first frame.
Yeah, I know. I've highlighted some of the distorted areas, which demonstrate the trauma to the comb. Cut outs are generally messy and difficult and you get incidental or collateral damage. The cappings are fragile of course, and what we are seeing is simply the damage done during the cut out.

Attachments

• drone brood.jpeg
    drone brood.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 30

Latest posts

Back