Computer microscope

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poly Hive

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
12 and 18 Nucs
A friend of mine is interested in looking closer and has seen a USB unit that she thinks may be helpful but it only goes to 300x and is some £40.

Is this sort of thing actually any use and are there any that go to 400x for Nosema?

Thanks

PH

I haven't found usb microscopes to be much use. What I have found good is the USB eye-pieces fitted to conventional microscopes - Brunel sell them.

I don't know those units specifically, but I trust Brunel to sell good equipment. They've been around a while, and I what I have had from them has been excellent.

Suggest you give Brunel a ring and discuss your requirements with them. They were very helpful to me when I did the microscopy exam. Leave computer scopes well alone

Don't know the answer but from the equipment I have seen you get what you pay for and if its cheap it is unlikely to be good resolution.

Very true you get what you pay for in a microscope. Some top end lens cost upwards of 5K.
You can use your mobile phones camera to take pictures down them, you just need something to hold it in the right place.

That would be a binocular microscope (low power) not a compound microscope which you would need to visualize nosema etc.

For AI we are using X10 /X20 / X40 binocular low power....

but I can see no reason why the adaptor would not work on a high power microscope... as does the USB type that Brunnell Microscopes sell... ( £120 approx when I looked at them at Harper Adams at the BBKA Spring Convention.... useful for a bigger screen.. and can capture image on computer.

The image on the new i phone is incredible.... may even get one.... at the end of the day the phone camera will only import the image it sees!!!

I have a usb microscope that will go to X500... needs a very secure base!
seem to be moving away from OP...

Chons da

Thanks for that I had my suspicions.

How about this: http://www.brunelmicroscopes.co.uk/bruneldm5.html

PH
we had a look at the Brunel stuff at the NHS this weekend, was very good and all of it uses standard lens sizes, so you could fit any make in at a latter date, liked the look of the SP27 http://www.brunelmicroscopes.co.uk/sp27accessories.html as it would be easy to top light with the open frame and used their camera in it.
would buy one if had a good enough excuse :)

If its for hobby use I took a punt on a very cheap <£10 USB LED x500 zoom microscope on eBay for looking at postage stamps. Two years on and I'm still using it, yes its cheap, yes its plastic, but it does show excellent close up details of my postage stamps on my PC screen as well complete images of the stamps.

Just remember to remove the plastic lens cap, not as obvious on the model we had as you may think.

Latest posts

Back