Completed intense inspections

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bcrazy

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
nil bees given away all colonies
This afternoon I carried out full intense inspections of all my 23 hives.
All I am going to say is I am well pleased with the outcome.

How long did it take you. (just out of interest)

I started at 0930 had a break at 1200 till 1215 then finished at 1800 I try to make each inspection about 15 to 20 mins max. Single Brood chamber is quicker than my doubles. I am well pleased only found one queen cell in all the hives. I think it works out to about 20 mins per hive.

Last edited:
Ok thanks

Thats not on the commercial scale of 3 mins per hive :)

Hence the intense.

One cell thats good :)

Hi Veg,
Its my way of saying I inspected for queencells and any deformities plus disease inspection. There was a lot of shaking the bees off the frame to inspect the brood pattern etc.

Ahh thought I was missing some secret manouvre :cheers2:

Bcrazy I count myself lucky as I am nowhere near as clever as you in the study of beekeeping.

The good news is I have never even heared of some of the problems you would be looking for with your experience so have less to worry about.

Hence it only takes me half your time to inspect a colony :biggrinjester:

Thanks Admin for making me feel a right plonker.:eek:

Dont be daft,I was praising all the hours of hard work you have put in to your studies.

Have you got any modules left to do yet?

Nomore written modules as I now have the Advanced certificate all I have got to do is the husbandry section.Then after that more studying for the NDB.

I wish i had your skills Admin, as i know even less than you but take 4 times longer lol

This afternoon

I think it may have been your slight exaggeration of the length of time for those 23 colonies. Most people's 'afternoon' starts after lunch.....while the correct terminology means from 12 o'clock noon. Not sure when it finishes though!

Regards, RAB

think it may have been your slight exaggeration of the length of time for those 23 colonies. Most people's 'afternoon' starts after lunch.....while the correct terminology means from 12 o'clock noon. Not sure when it finishes though!

I don't understand what your meaning is ? please explain a little bit more. Thankyou

OK OK I see where your coming from regarding the teminology of afternoon. I am afraid that was just the way it came out. I know i was getting knackered towards the end and even got stung once.

Yep, when I read thread #1, I thought 'wonder how long and when you finished'. Didn't expect, for a moment, you started at 0930!

Regards, RAB

No I have two out aparies and a couple of hives at home.

I too inspected 23 colonies this afternoon, or more accurately watched the bee inspector do it (15 in first apiary, 8 in 2nd).

1 unexplained death in first apiary: looked like a meltdown except the combs looked totally normal with brood and stores, and in any case it's been cold for ages. Piles of dead wet mouldy bees plus a few bedraggled live ones and a smell of fermented honey/nectar. Any ideas anyone? All other colonies in apiary totally normal too.

Also unexplained was my box of smoker fuel spontaneously combusting for no apparent reason. This was all the more remarkable as it was a bit damp and lighting the smoker wasn't easy. Had a similar incident last year with a newspaper in the back of the truck while with same inspector. I heard our region is 2 SBI's short this year. Stan and Ollie where are you?

Hi Bcrazy

Out of interest, how many sites are your 23 hives on?

Latest posts

Back