Complete beginner.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

APIFAN

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi folks just thought i would say hello as a newbie. Been interested in beekeeping for a while now so i've decided to do something about it.
Attended a meeting for complete beginners a couple of weeks ago which was organised by my local beekeeping group (north staffordshire),and also went for a visit to their apiary. Finding it all a bit daunting at the moment though what with so much to learn :eek::eek::eek:

Welcome to the forum.

have a look around and dont be afraid to ask anything. as in life you will get lots of different views depending on the question you ask.

Some members can be a bit grumpy if they feel its a silly question but they do mean well, just take the grumpiness with a pinch of salt.

You will become addicted to both the forum and beekeeping.

Many thanks for your reply dpearce4.

I'm already addicted, i was amazed at the way a hive works when i visited the apiary.

Hello Apifan
I think we met at the Apiary...not worthy

Welcome to us. It's lovely here. Warm and cosy. Like all families we have some good rows but kiss and make up.

Get stung ASAP. (So that's done with)

Get to actually handle bees yourself - at the very least hold a frame (borrow protective kit but learn about stuff like washing your gloves in Washing Soda).

Get signed up quickly to a class of Intro lessons - they tend to be starting about now.

And then you'll be in a much better position to decide whether the bug has bitten (and not just stung), before you start investing in all the paraphernalia. You should have all winter to make any selections (and deal with all the conflicting well-intentioned advice ...)

"before you start investing in all the paraphernalia"

:iagree: the dream of having just the one hive in the garden is not realistic. Colonies need manipulating, splitting etc and things can rapidly expand :)

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=13627&page=4

for me - this malarkey actually started as an idea for the OH 2 years ago - did the river cottage course together, got first 2 swarms last year - i got bitten by the bug, she got stang off of the bees - now i help supervise newbies at local assoc and currently have 20 colonies.

for me - this malarkey actually started as an idea for the OH 2 years ago - did the river cottage course together, got first 2 swarms last year - i got bitten by the bug, she got stang off of the bees - now i help supervise newbies at local assoc and currently have 20 colonies.

Bloddy hell that was quick. you must have been well bitten by the bug.

how come with the locations so far apart? is that a work thing?

Latest posts

Back