Compleat (sic) hive for £235 delivered

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ha ha. Bargain.

Thorne might be a bit peeved. Selling what appears to be seconds knocked up at that price. A bit naughty calling it a Thorne hive just on the strength that Thorne did the machining. It would not attract a Thorne warranty for instance.

Looks as though he might have selected all the good bits for some 'first' quality ones for his own use or for later offerings. Or are the budget hives that knotty?

BTW it is not £235; he will deliver 'free' at the BIN price of £210. If he will accept offers they must be more than £25 less than the BIN price for the buyer to make any savings (although there are probably enough mathematically or literally challenged out there not to realise that!!)

That means he is realistically charging no more than £185 plus delivery and would accept less than that unless someone coughs up the full price. Either way it is possibly costing in excess of £100 just to have it knocked it together. Flat pack budget Thorne is a tad under £130 delivered for the equivalent but there would be a fair discount for an agent......Never know what goes on with these 'deals'.

Regards, RAB

The price people are prepared to pay for bees and hives in UK is unbelievable! Look at this offer I got by email this morning from a Spanish company. They are offering a complete Langstroth with a super, wired frames etc etc. all in for 45 euros plus VAT! That's 40 quid!

See this

The critical difference being the hive type.

The UK is obsessed with their particular hives. The TBS/BBS argument alone, has been trundling on for over 100 years and seems set for another boring century.

PH

The critical difference being the hive type.

The UK is obsessed with their particular hives. The TBS/BBS argument alone, has been trundling on for over 100 years and seems set for another boring century.

PH

LOL nice one.

Thats a shame I am not able to get through on that link Norm

Thats a shame I am not able to get through on that link Norm

Try this photo

viewer

Here is a normal Finnish hive price plastic or poly

10€= £ 8,7
80 € = £ 70

3 boxes langstroth 40,5 €
bottom and covers self made
30 frames 15 €
foundations 3 kg 21 €
Sum........76,5 €

excluder plastic 5,5 €
feeding box 8 l plastic 12,5

wooden bottomboard 20 €
Plastic upper cover 12
Wooden upper rain cover 20 .............................with £ 230 you can get 3 hives.

Last edited:
Sorry Norm I think it is my computer it has being playing up lately just got the little red cross

I can't get through either Norm.

Thornes charge £233 for a Langstroth with OMF, 2 supers + frames + foundation. That's in the flat.

Assembled £310.

I'm moving to L/s this season so I think I may be paying you a visit next winter Norm. Now how many would I get in my RAV 4?

The price people are prepared to pay for bees and hives in UK is unbelievable! Look at this offer I got by email this morning from a Spanish company. They are offering a complete Langstroth with a super, wired frames etc etc. all in for 45 euros plus VAT! That's 40 quid!

See this

Hi Norm I am afraid I cant look at this as the link is missing. Could you either post the link or PM with it. I dont suppose you know whether they would ship to the uk and if so what the carraige might be I would be interested in 4 a this price depending on carraige. they seem cheap considering there is 20 frames and wax in there. I dont suppose that includes a Q excluder and crown board

Alan

Not sure why the pic is not showing. Here is the link to the website showing the offers pf the week. I think you have to buy 12 minimum. The frames are prewired but no wax!

Got it this time Norm looks a well made hive to. Dont like to shoot myself in the foot but people who run that sort of hive should get together and have a pallet or two shipped over

Slightly off thread perhaps, but Google Translate took the Spanish, with accents missing, and produced a not bad translation. It's come a long way, The world is becoming a much smaller place. . . Despite the inevitable spout.

Colmena langstroth enlazada, Madera de pino.
Tratada con aceite de linaza, colmena compuesta de:
madera (fondo inclinado hacia la piquera)
piquera metalica
camara de cria con 10 cuadros alambrados
alza con 10 cuadros alambrados
contratape o entreplanta
tapa o techo de madera chapada

Langstroth linked, Pinewood.
Treated with linseed oil, hive consisting of:
wood (bottom inclined toward the spout)
metal spout
brood chamber with 10 frames wire
wired up with 10 frames
back cover or mezzanine