Comp help needed please?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poly Hive

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
12 and 18 Nucs
My tower is refusing to recognise either of my external hard drives. It did not so long ago but not now.

Any thoughts?

PH

how about reinstalling the drivers ? i guess it will also depend on what operating system you are running ?

Vista says it has installed the drivers for the drives and then won't see them.

PH

Aha Vista .................. another Microsoft bag of spanners.

Have you tested all the connectors and cables PH ? i assume the drives are USB.

It could also be a conflict, i get it with my mobile when i try and connect to my work pc via usb, for some reason Vista chooses to see another device over and above my mobile.

Last edited:
Cables all checked and used known USB ports which are working fine.

Vista is a very odd one.

PH

I nearly say you have a problem with the main mother board. Possible controller chip but you would need an engineer to check. However Vista is a mine field and not as stable as XP. Vista can throw up a whole host of illogical problem. Try the link below and these people may be able to help you.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com

Regards

Busy Bee

Whilst not promised to work this can force vista to have a rethink.

Firstly unplug both drives, then go to device manager which is accessed via control panel --> System and maintenance----> System----> device manager find your drives in this list and right click and uninstall.

Restart the system with the drives still unplugged and then plug them in again forcing vista to reinstall the drivers.

Failing that have a browse on the drive manufacturers website for updated drivers.

David

Does not show in Device manager and does not require a driver so says the manufacturers web site. Very frustrating.

PH

Vista has a load of different security settings than xp,thats what is causing the problem,first try changing this:

1. Click on Start and on the command/search field, enter regedit.
  2. This will open the Registry Editor. Now browse on the left pane to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Control > Lsa.
  3. That should show a bunch of settings on the right pane, select LmCompatibilityLevel (double-click it).
  4. Change the current setting, from 3 to 1.
  5. Accept all dialogs and restart.
If the above does not fix it then tell me what edition of vista you have,business - Home - premium ? that way we will know what legacy settings we need to tweek in the bios.

Vista Home Premiium.

No change after the registry change and reboot.

PH

ok,go into your Bios settings on bootup and go to the USB settings and make sure that legacy support for USB is enabled.

Does your Vista edition have SP(SERVICE PACK) 1 installed ?,its just that I remember there was a bios issue with external drives that was fixed with SP1 update.

Latest posts

Back