Common sense management

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikethebee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I believe all the poison tack that has been published to fight varroa (Oxalic acid Apistan Bayvarol ect ) has now contaminated the wax that effects- eggs- lavae- brood, and the bees can not develop into healthy adults.

We are experiencing unfertile queen?s- drones with no sperm- big losses of foraging bees.
Common sense management is the formula for keeping bees successful replace all your wax regularly.
All the best mike

www.easybeeproducts.co.uk

How regularly do you think Mike? And do you just think we should replace in brood box or in supers too? Surely supers aren't on when we treat???

I was talking to an Apiary manager a couple of weeks back who says they now use fresh brood+super foundation every year.

Do you think that wax purchased in sheets is not also still contaminated ?

Oxalic acid does not accumulate into wax.
Fat soluble stuffs go into wax.

Honey has so much itself oxalic acid that when it has been added duting open honey combs, the concentration of honey added 10%.

Treatment against Varroa does seep into the wax and even treatment of reheating the wax for new sheets will not get rid of pathogens that are within the wax makeup.

We are experiencing unfertile queen?s- drones with no sperm- big losses of foraging bees.

I agree with the above comments but they have nothing to do with treatment against Varroa.

Mike, where is your justification, and scientific backup to comment saying;
QUOTE][I believe all the poison tack that has been published to fight varroa (Oxalic acid Apistan Bayvarol etc ) has now contaminated the wax that effects- eggs- lavae- brood, and the bees can not develop into healthy adults. /QUOTE]

Please understand before I accept comments like yours I need the proof of such things.

Regards;

Bcrazy what is your take on the failure of queens to become fertile in the uk?

Hi Ya Bcrazy
Quote:
Mike, where is your justification, and scientific backup to comment saying;

?I ant got none?
My justification is I have live bees Lots of them.
WHY because I was taught to learn from my mistakes nobody is going to help me recover from a self inflicted disaster, least of all the so called shower we have at the BBKA, try asking them the same question, there reply if any would come from some poor lap-dog way down the line.

Think about it. Loss of bees- infertile Queens- infertile drones- loss of birds- loss of wild life- loss of inland fish species - dieing trees- Don?t that tell you somefing. It ant the weather, I believe it?s INSECTICIDE.

I don?t believe we beekeepers are doing enough to stop the natural environment from being polluted and as we all know the BBKA are sat on there backside getting paid megabuck for what?
I admire and support this forum because the members has made a stand for them selves away from tuther side, NEXT step look for a insurance company to do a block policy.

Bcrazy don?t take this the wrong way.
OFF ME SOAPBOX NOW.
ALL THE BEST MIKE

I would of thought the use of Insectercides would be on the decrease,I am seeing the return of many birds and butterflies in the new forest after a spell of around 10 years.

I also believe the use of insecticides,are the cause of most problems to do with wildlife of all kinds. I have noticed a decline in many species,including my own bee's.Also think aeroplanes should be banned. i do not live in an arable area,so some say how can this be,but i don't live very near the sahara desert either,but our cars on odd occasions get covered in dust from such places,so chemicals can easily be carried around the world,i'm sure.

Hey Mike,
No probs. Ex 'Bootneck'.

In your original post it implied that OA treatment was the cause of all these problems, and not a word about Pesticides.

I do agree that something has to be done at a higher level than ordinary associations. This is going to be with us for a long long time, and it will not stop just because the BBKA might not carry on with the agreement with Bayer Crop Sciences. BCS don't give a monkeys about a small hobbyist group of bee keepers as long as they rake in their millions of pounds per year.

Regards;

Hi ya Bcrazy
What I believe? Most beeks use O/A Most beeks lost bees last year that used it because its cheep, I believe it leaves a residue in the wax that affects the brood in all stages. Now this could also be because of a change from apistan to OA using the same Wax who knows?
As far as I am concerned there all unnatural and contaminated pesticides.
As you may not know,
We only use full size brood boxes for our honey box no supers at all everything is the same interchangeable kept simple.
We try to change the brood wax in all the Queen occupied brood boxes every 2nd year, starting in the spring I believe this keeps the bees healthy.
Peter at KBS supplies the foundation.
As for the BBKA $ %^?%^ &* ass ^&%( them
All the best mike
www.easybeeproducts

Hey Mike,

Why are you knocking the BBKA?
Are you a member?

Come on give me some of that splendid vocabulary you use!

Regards;:biggrinjester:

Sorry for butting in,but i'm sure mike will also answer,i am a bbka member,and have been for a lot of years,and they have just gone off the rails at the moment,but i'm sure they will get back on track with the right people in charge eventually. don't give up on them totally,just give them time to weed out the rubbish.,like bayer,and all the little pixies.

Hi ya Bcrazy
What I believe? Most beeks use O/A Most beeks lost bees last year that used it because its cheep, I believe it leaves a residue in the wax that affects the brood in all stages. ]

Mike you wrong but many beekeeper with common sence is afraid of oxalic acid. Nothing personal.

The carrot has 10-100 times more oxalic acid than honey. Take care!

Yes it is puzzling for a beeseller to suggest that he doesn't use any of the treatments for varroa; Apiguard, oxalic acid.

Is this a good advert for you Mike? If I were buying bees I would want to be sure they had a low mite load, otherwise why would I want them in my apiary? I would be less worried about contaminated wax....i can change that.

Hi Hivemaker,

Yes I entirely agree.
As I understand this mess was the Executive Committee formed the BBKA Enterprises Ltd. During this period they made an agreement with Bayer regarding the BBKA Logo and the 'Bee friendly' advert.
It was later put to the Members of BBKA at a ADM what had been done on behalf of the membership. Of course it was agreed by the representatives of the various associations.
Then some years after that an association asked where some addition funds were coming from. Since that important question we now find ourselves in the position we are today.

As I said this is my understanding and not anything official.
There was some excellent posts on the BBKA web site at the beginning of this fiasco explaining in far more detail than I have gone into.

In my opinion we should have nothing to do with companies that produce Pesticides and insecticides. We should be boycotting them because they are killing off a lot of wild life.

Regards;

Yes it is puzzling for a beeseller to suggest that he doesn't use any of the treatments for varroa; Apiguard, oxalic acid.

i would be over the moon if i could buy queens from a breeder that doesn't use any treatments or only used O/A.
Ive haven't used any treatments this year and only O/A once the last couple of Xmas and sugar dusted before that.

Regards Tony

picking up on something mikethebee said (I admire and support this forum because the members has made a stand for them selves away from tuther side, NEXT step look for a insurance company to do a block policy.)

sounds like a good idea, maybe it could be done though this bee keeping forum.

Latest posts

Back