Commercial frame size identification please

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John R

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
TBH
Number of Hives
I'm trying to identify the exact name and foundation type of the 2nd hand hives I bought last year, which I was told were commercial. This was from a large commercial producer of honey I think? I've looked on the web and this forum but still unsure what I've got?

Frame type 1 - Deep BB with frame sizes of:
Top bar 446mm / 17.5" with lugs of 7mm Deep x 20mm long
Side bar 239 mm / 9 + 6/16ths"
Bottom bar 405 mm / 15 + 15/16ths"

Frame 2 size:
Top bar 432mm / 17" with lugs of 9mm deep x 38mm long
Side bar 216mm / 8.5"
Bottom bar 355mm / 14"

Frame 3 size:
Top bar 435mm / 17 + 2/16ths" with lugs of 8mm deep x 34mm long
Side bar 200mm / 8"
Bottom bar 365mm / 14 + 5/16ths"

I've got around 14 boxes with frames etc, and they are really good quality now they've been cleaned up and have used them for a year with no issues, but I do need to cut down foundation to fit and wonder if there is anything that someone may know about this kit to help me order the exact size foundation? Thanks for looking at this:banghead:

If you look at maiseymores site they have the frame sizes on there
Ohh and here

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=856

Thanks Craig,
I did look at the link for this forum guide on hives, and have just been on the web for the other company you mention, but can't get anything to link with the frame 1 above, the size of 17.5" top bar and 9 + 6/16ths side bars isn't anywhere to be found, although the 16" bottom bar size is OK. Maybe I need to just accept that i won't get a perfect fit and need to work around this?

Latest posts

Back