Comfrey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Enough
I'm looking to grow some comfrey.
Both as a bee plant and for use as fertiliser.

I have read that bocking 14 is the one to get.
Is the other type of comfrey, the seeded type, any less beneficial to bees or as fertiliser?

be carefull spreading the seeds of comfrey or borage, it spred like crazy. my own personal way is to mix seeds with soil, put the lot into paper wraps (newspaper) and then lob them over the fence of the nearest vaccant delict site, i have also done it to abandoned gardens and to vergs that are not looked after, basicly every where but at my allotment, i am still trying to get to grips with what i have already sown. as for the specific type it is not to much to worry about any thing or any type will do

be carefull spreading the seeds of comfrey or borage, it spred like crazy. my own personal way is to mix seeds with soil, put the lot into paper wraps (newspaper) and then lob them over the fence of the nearest vaccant delict site, i have also done it to abandoned gardens and to vergs that are not looked after, basicly every where but at my allotment, i am still trying to get to grips with what i have already sown. as for the specific type it is not to much to worry about any thing or any type will do

Do the borage seeds grow ok when you throw them on the sites?? I am looking for an easy way to plant some near my apiary around the hedgerows.

yes too well some times, each news paper packet will keep them going just like butterfly bushs they grow on tarmac and stone, theres another one for you do not plant normal butterfly bush but the round one ,its proper name is buddleia globosa or orange ball tree ordinary buddleia is no good for honey bees only bumbles

dont worry about blocking 14 all you need is comfrey there are three type common in the uk
the first is ordinary the second russian and last blocking 14, the only differance i have everyfound is quite symply the change left in one spocket after would s.........

go to
www.chilternseeds.co.uk
they are the best suppliers by far these peole can get you seeds of plants that were lost years ago from everyone elses catalogues
SYMPHYTUM. BORAGINACEAE is its proper name and these are proper seeds peole so we have to use latintry codes
1215n sky blue pink 8 seeds £2.53
1215p bog standard comfrey , bucket of seeds £4.48
1215q russian comfrey £2.83 for a hand full
or go to your local allotments and ask around if any one has evber planted some up there it would be a rampant weed by now and the roots replant dead easy

if anyone wants some very cheap sun flower seeds. i went to jollyes the pet shop and brought a kilo of sun flower seeds for £1.19 thats soooo many seeds so i also brought another kilo this time of the black sunflower seeds, that will keep the girls happy later this year. as for my fellow allotmenters, well there in for a big surprise cause i am going to plant them all over the unused allotments at 18" centres, i will send the pictures when they come to flower it should look very good, and my ducks and chickens will be evan happier when they get to eat the seeds

I line the paths at my allotment with Comfrey and cut it periodically for mulching fruit bushes. I don't find it that hard to control.
I have only ever see bumble bees on it and I have 8 colonies right beside it.

PM me your address and I will post you some.

Latest posts

Back