combining using newspaper

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fizz

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi

I have made a bit of a cock up - and now need some help to sort it out ASAP!

I wanted to combine a 14x12 brood box with no queen - with a 6 frame nuc with a good queen.
I transferred the nuc to a 14x12 but forgot I'd need spare frames to fill it up and put the full 14 x 12 on top of the newspaper anyway.

So my question is - how long can i leave it before the gaps downstairs fill up with wild comb? and whats the shortest time i can leave it before they eat through the paper?

I'm hoping the answert will be - they will chew through the paper in 2 to 3 days, at which point i can go back and transfer frames from the top into the bottom before it fills up with wild comb.

Am I on planet la la? or is that a reasonable plan to get me out of this mess?

So my question is - how long can i leave it before the gaps downstairs fill up with wild comb? and whats the shortest time i can leave it before they eat through the paper?
I united two 6 frame nucs, one on top of the other in a brood box each, left them for 4 days in a flow. I had some wild comb hanging off the queen excluder, but I removed it in seconds and put it in my wax box.
You should be just fine.

Thanks everyone. I consolidated them today - they had chewed through half the paper so hopefully that bought them enough time. Only a wee bit o wild comb hanging off the queen excluder.

Thanks everyone. I consolidated them today - they had chewed through half the paper so hopefully that bought them enough time. Only a wee bit o wild comb hanging off the queen excluder.
Well done, they only need a small hole to start mixing. I usually take off what is left the following morning so they don't waste energy chewing it!

Latest posts

Back