Combining a very aggressive hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry for the delay in replying .

Okay husband was still saying " sorry !" And looking very fearful for days. But then I got a grip 😀 .This is what happened.

1/ I united 5 frames ( of nasty bees ) with the swarm ( these were the frames I had just placed in a nuc when doing the original search for Q) I didn't want to leave them without stores or flying bees in that heat and after so many searches I was sure Q was not there . I left the original brood box with a super away from the original site .

2/ A day later while putting a clearing board on one of my other hives ( one closest to where nasty hive had been) I was stung ! Later noticed a fair few bees on the inspection board underneath the mesh floor of this hive . Pulled it out and there was the queen . No squeamishness this time as I had developed quite a resentment towards the poor insect . I killed her quickly with my hive tool and deposited her subjects on the landing board of the same hive . I thought this might be stupid , but figured they must have lived with the smell of this colony and they did seem to be accepted

3/ Removed the queen cells off the original BB and united. All supers now off and all hives have a pack of apiguard to work through.

Thank you all for your fantastic support and advice - I REALLY REALLY appreciate it . I have learned so much from your posts . I love the humour too . Thank you all xxx

Good stuff though
A lot of my beekeeping practices are modified by hindsight. Thankfully most of it somebody else's

Thanks especially for your advice re q returning to original location . That makes total sense now . And that is exactly what she did 😀

Thank you all for your fantastic support and advice - I REALLY REALLY appreciate it . I have learned so much from your posts . I love the humour too . Thank you all xxx

Thanks for finishing the story. Glad it went well.
I was waiting to hear husband had been beaten severely with a hive tool...:devilish:

Shame you could have done it other ways and kept 3 hives instead of losing a hive

No , I have kept three hives . The swarm I collected was the fourth and I United the aggressive colony with this. I only want three colonies as that is what is covered by my local beekeeping association insurance.

Would you have re queened the aggressive colony ? If so how would you have done it ? I do not have any spare queens and the colonies I do have are not producing swarm or supersedure qc .

When I was removing the emergency qc from the aggressive hive box ( after the queen had flown ) I did wonder if the bees in there would accept a frame of eggs from one of the other hives . This would have meant 3+ weeks without a laying queen ( in addition to the week already lost ) and I thought this would not be good for Winter bees - too late ?

As I said I am happy with the three hives , but I would be really interested to know your thoughts .

Latest posts

Back