Combined hives.... What now?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhyolite

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
I combined two hives using the newspaper method.

Currently I have: brood box, QE, super, broodbox, super.

My intention is to remove one brood box, harvest what honey I can from one super and leave the bees with the other super of honey going into the winter.

What do I do with all the frames I have left over as next year I will most likely do a split and get two hives up and running?

No cleaning or anything? There's not much room in the freezer either for an entire brood box of spare frames...

No. Straight into the freezer. I had this problem for a few years so threw some junk out and bought a cheap chest freezer. I can get 20 14x12 frames in half the space. It’s a godsend. I keep my heather buckets and cut comb in there too

More money to spend so. Thank you for the feedback.

No. Straight into the freezer. I had this problem for a few years so threw some junk out and bought a cheap chest freezer. I can get 20 14x12 frames in half the space. It’s a godsend. I keep my heather buckets and cut comb in there too

You keep them in the freezer for the year? Or 48hours then store them away?

I would leave the brood box over the qe until all brood gone. I would then sort through the frames in both brood boxes so the best ones were in the brood box which is staying. I would then spin out any honey and keep it if any of the remaining frames had honey in, any nectar I would feed back to the bees and then store the frames until I needed them. I am not a lover of freezing frames. I seem to be the only one who has problems with it but it contracts the foundation and cracks it. No problems with those keepers that do but it just isn't my choice.

Thanks Enrico, how do you suggest to store the frames? If I can avoid buying a freezer I will.

Never have the problem. I run double broods throughout the year and never leave supers on. I get the bees to move any dregs of honey out of the few supers , which have any honey left, into the Bbs. Good frames of brood and stores go into top Bb and any dregs underneath.
Any empty frames stored in the shed are treated with sulphur and Certan equivalent.
SWMBO would go mad to find frames in the freezer

Stores the frames in a shed or under cover outside in the super or brood box, ensure the boxes are covered to prevent pest getting in and spray the frames with Bacillus solution to stop wax moth damage.

Are there any instructions for making up a solution of dipel? My packet didn’t come with any and I’m not sure on the correct concentration.

Never have the problem. I run double broods throughout the year and never leave supers on. I get the bees to move any dregs of honey out of the few supers , which have any honey left, into the Bbs. Good frames of brood and stores go into top Bb and any dregs underneath.
Any empty frames stored in the shed are treated with sulphur and Certan equivalent.
SWMBO would go mad to find frames in the freezer
I have also used this method for the last 15/16 years on Langstroth, in winter often the bees will move across the bottom hive, hit the wall in the bottom box and go up to stores in the bb, you will not lose hives through starvation. I put any spun supers or anything to be cleaned off above a crown board the bees will bring it down to the brood area 😊

Latest posts

Back