comb

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taff..

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
The 3 frames in the middle of the brood nest had comb underneath and the queen had laid in it.

I brought it home to take some photo's

eggs.jpg

is it normal for comb to built underneath the bottom bar? will they build comb anywhere and everywhere?

its common.... bees like nice round curves square
frames are alien to them encouraging the queen onto the next frame is the problem ......they will build where there is more than beespace

Is it drone comb ?

They often like to make bigger cells for drones under the bar.

nice one, cheers. :)

do you leave it on or cut it off each time they build it?

Leave it on and when its capped knock it off,verroa prefer drone brood so it can be part of your hive management.

You will want a few drones in the hive though for mating,just incase you have the only hives for miles.

I honestly dont know if its drone or not

Leave it on and when its capped knock it off,verroa prefer drone brood so it can be part of your hive management.

its a plan :cheers2:

I'm yet to see a mite, I had a really good look at the floor yesterday and couldn't find any, that's not to say there aren't any, just I havn't found one yet :svengo:

You will want a few drones in the hive though for mating,just incase you have the only hives for miles.

I'm fine on that count, there are another 2 beeks on the same orchard and I know of atleast 1 other apiary within 2 miles

i also saw a reasonable amount of capped drone cells on the frames yeasterday.:)

Are the cells a little bigger that the foundation cells ?

The capped drone cells are larger in width and height, you should see white capped drone brood protruding above the average level of the comb. If you need to inspect for Verroa mite, use an uncapping fork to open the cells. But, first wait until the drones are at the pink eye stage, this is when the mites will have attached themselves, if they are present.

In my hive I have placed a frame with about two inches of foundation from the top bar, to encourage the bees to build drone comb. They will only do this in the Spring and early Summer, after the longest day, the workers will revert to building worker brood comb.

Latest posts

Back