Comb built over queen cells

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Before I make up any nucs, are these cells likely to be viable?

Looked OK graft + 2 days. Now graft + 11 days so 14/15 day old. Left above QE on queen-rite/right? colony.

Can't put a cage over them so need to do something SOON.

Thanks . . . . . Ben

Cells should be fine just leave them as is or scrape back gently to fit in protectors....and really that’s quite mild.

One had been emptied. Don't think emerged!

One I damaged and there was a white larva with pale purple eyes so 12 days old. So would be dead. ?

Think I saw movement in one of them. No royal jelly left in cups. Have carefully cut back comb and put remaining 3 in 'hair curler' protectors back on top of hive.

Wait till they emerge or make up nucs tomorrow?

Can the queen chew her way out of a bit of extra wax?

Yes.
However, hold the cell up to a strong light so you can see the outline of the cell. Then, trim them down so they are the approximate size/shape of normal cells.
The reason they do this is that they are the right age to draw wax and are well fed enough to do it. Sometimes, putting a frame of foundation a couple of frames away from the cells so they have somewhere to satisfy that urge.

Middle and right look good to me, left hand side may need a little investigation.

If you hair roller cage the cupkit cells as soon as they are sealed this not only prevents early emerging queens killing the others but also prevents the bees wax webbing them together

Attachments

• cells webbed together.JPG
    cells webbed together.JPG
    264.1 KB · Views: 28
  • sealed cells within protective hair roller cages.JPG
    sealed cells within protective hair roller cages.JPG
    224.3 KB · Views: 27
After I cut back the comb I put them in cages and returned them to hive. They emerged overnight which was a close, graft + 12 days.
Now the tricky bit. Getting them mated.

I'd have put cages on earlier but the colony was a bit grumpy about the repeated disturbance. Once i knew I had success I left them to it.

Attachments

• DSCF20200614-01-smaqll.jpg
    DSCF20200614-01-smaqll.jpg
    392.2 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Yes.
However, hold the cell up to a strong light so you can see the outline of the cell.

If you do that DO NOT PANIC that you cannot see the shadow of the Q. (and correspondingly be careful not to do an ante-natal Ann Boleyn). They are remarkably translucent even at a late stage.

When I posted the original photo I did decapitate a cell but luckily I think it had died. Not as developed as the others.

After the 3 remaining cells had hatched in the cages I couldn't see one of them. She'd climbed back headfirst into the cell presumable to finish off the royal jelly. Had to wait for her to back out.

Attachments

• DSCF20200613-23-small.jpg
    DSCF20200613-23-small.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 18

Latest posts

Back