COLOSS B-RAP survey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murox

Queen Bee
Reaction score
I received a survey this morning whose final deadline is in a few days. Anyone else received the coloss B rap survey so late? Or are they scraping the bottom of the barrel - I see the UK response was less than 1000 so far. I found it a challenge to answer a lot of their questions since so much of it just doesn't apply to me up here so they got rather a lot of unanswered questions returned.

I received a survey this morning whose final deadline is in a few days. Anyone else received the coloss B rap survey so late? Or are they scraping the bottom of the barrel - I see the UK response was less than 1000 so far. I found it a challenge to answer a lot of their questions since so much of it just doesn't apply to me up here so they got rather a lot of unanswered questions returned.
Got mine on 9th December ... a few questions didn't really apply and it did not give you the option 'None of the above' and the chance to enter a more appropriate answer. The nature of this type of survey is often to provide a broad brush result rather than determine anything too specific. I filled it in as much as I could .. nothing to hate.

What's a 'B rap' and why are Coloss surveying it?

Email extract ---
The COLOSS organisation (www.coloss.org) is an international network for beekeeping scientists and advisers. Its name is also its mission: Prevention of honey bee Colony LOSSes. Thus, its goal is to improve the well-being of honey bees at a global level. There are several networks within COLOSS. One network is the B-RAP group (Bridging Research and Practice), which aims to connect science and beekeeping advisory work with the beekeeper’s daily work/problems.

Some main problems in the cooperation between researchers, advisers and beekeepers are a lack in communication and differences in perspectives. Therefore, we want to ask you as a beekeeper, how we can help you and how we can reach you. In order to do this we ask you:

• How did you start beekeeping?
  • What beekeeping education do you have?
  • What kind of network do you belong to?
  • How do you get information about beekeeping?
  • What kind of training do you want?
  • What are the biggest problems within your beekeeping?
  • Where do you think focus should be in the future?

What's a 'B rap' and why are Coloss surveying it?

This is the email I received - I am sure COLOSS would appreciate anyone taking part in the survey - the link to the actual survey should work.

Dear Pargyle,

At the beginning of the year you participated in the annual COLOSS monitoring group survey indicated that you would be willing to be approached for future surveys with COLOSS. I thank for your earlier participation.

This email is sent on behalf of BRAP group (Bridging Research and Practice) a special interest group of COLOSS charged with trying to identify how best to dessiminate scientific findings and good practice. This survey is being carried out worldwide and also at a national level so that we can understand how best to inform local bee keepers or least share in the efforts of COLOSS's work.

The survey has now been running for several months, and aims to identify how beekeepers find information in order to improve the quality of teaching and extension in beekeeping. The survey has been translated into 28 languages, and so far, some 8,765 responses have been received from 83 countries, including 333 from the UK. It has been decided that the closing date for the survey will now been extended until December 31st to give you the opportunity of being involved.

If you haven’t done so, please complete the online survey here:

COLOSS survey - Sources of information

It should take you only 10 minutes to complete...
If you have already completed the survey, we thank you very much for your help. Please tell your beekeeping friends, and share this FaceBook post to your local association or bee club.

Results will be published in popular beekeeping journals and as a scientific paper.
The COLOSS (prevention of honey bee COlony LOSSes) association (www.coloss.org) is an international network for beekeeping scientists and advisers. Its name is also its mission; to improve the well-being of honey bees at a global level. There are several projects within COLOSS.

One is the B-RAP group (Bridging Research and Practice), which aims connect science and advisory work with the practical beekeeper. One of the main problems of cooperation between researchers, advisors and beekeepers is a lack of communication and differences in perspectives. Hence this survey to ask beekeepers how we can help you and how we can reach you.

More information about B-RAP can be found here: https://coloss.org/b-rap-bridging-research-and-practice/

Sent on behalf of national coordinators for the COLOSS B-RAP group

Norman Carreck ([email protected])

Alison Gray ([email protected])

Should you no longer wish to be included in future COLOSS communication or cease to be a beekeeper, if you send an email to [email protected]. I will remove you from COLOSS monitoring mailing list.

I thank you for participation in these difficult times and wish you festive greetings, and hopefully a more normal 2021

Regards

Anthony Williams ( [email protected])

National COLOSS monitoring coordinator for England

This is the email I received - I am sure COLOSS would appreciate anyone taking part in the survey - the link to the actual survey should work.

Dear Pargyle,

At the beginning of the year you participated in the annual COLOSS monitoring group survey indicated that you would be willing to be approached for future surveys with COLOSS. I thank for your earlier participation.

This email is sent on behalf of BRAP group (Bridging Research and Practice) a special interest group of COLOSS charged with trying to identify how best to dessiminate scientific findings and good practice. This survey is being carried out worldwide and also at a national level so that we can understand how best to inform local bee keepers or least share in the efforts of COLOSS's work.

The survey has now been running for several months, and aims to identify how beekeepers find information in order to improve the quality of teaching and extension in beekeeping. The survey has been translated into 28 languages, and so far, some 8,765 responses have been received from 83 countries, including 333 from the UK. It has been decided that the closing date for the survey will now been extended until December 31st to give you the opportunity of being involved.

If you haven’t done so, please complete the online survey here:

COLOSS survey - Sources of information

It should take you only 10 minutes to complete...
If you have already completed the survey, we thank you very much for your help. Please tell your beekeeping friends, and share this FaceBook post to your local association or bee club.

Results will be published in popular beekeeping journals and as a scientific paper.
The COLOSS (prevention of honey bee COlony LOSSes) association (www.coloss.org) is an international network for beekeeping scientists and advisers. Its name is also its mission; to improve the well-being of honey bees at a global level. There are several projects within COLOSS.

One is the B-RAP group (Bridging Research and Practice), which aims connect science and advisory work with the practical beekeeper. One of the main problems of cooperation between researchers, advisors and beekeepers is a lack of communication and differences in perspectives. Hence this survey to ask beekeepers how we can help you and how we can reach you.

More information about B-RAP can be found here: https://coloss.org/b-rap-bridging-research-and-practice/

Sent on behalf of national coordinators for the COLOSS B-RAP group

Norman Carreck ([email protected])

Alison Gray ([email protected])

Should you no longer wish to be included in future COLOSS communication or cease to be a beekeeper, if you send an email to [email protected]. I will remove you from COLOSS monitoring mailing list.

I thank you for participation in these difficult times and wish you festive greetings, and hopefully a more normal 2021

Regards

Anthony Williams ( [email protected])

National COLOSS monitoring coordinator for England
Thanks, looks a good idea, I’ll fill it in

Back