• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Beekeeping Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

colony wanted

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crowman

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi iam looking for a strong overwintering colony to buy so i can build up next spring.Can anyone in the warwickshire/oxfordshire area help? Dont want to go down the nuc avenue anymore want to produce a good amount of honey next year.

I would be buying, at an extra premium, in the spring. As a newish(?) beek, I would want the risk, of over-wintering poorly, to be taken by the present owner.

BTW, welcome to the forum.

Regards, RAB

Just testing the water to see whats about. would not want to take over/pay for colony until next spring so i could inspect condition. I,m recovering from meningitis and im o so bored! going to put some more supers together in a bit..

regards tom

Hi there, thats what i,m planning next. think an ad in the newsletter could do the trick. many thanks, tom.

could always try the auctions (not internet sites) next spring. You can buy a full colony for the same price as a nuc from thornes and be getting honey later in the year. Lincoln is a good one.

let someone else worry about over wintering is my advice.

Tom, you sound confident like you've had bees before. Why not set out your kit as bait hives and get your name on any swarm list you can? There are plenty of new beekeepers who won't be controlling swarms adequately, and if the truth be known plenty of experienced ones too. I bet we'll see plenty of swarms next spring.

could always try the auctions (not internet sites) next spring. You can buy a full colony for the same price as a nuc from Th**nes and be getting honey later in the year. Lincoln is a good one.

:iagree:

Its a great way to start off, get a full colony for less than £200 (this year anyway) and they are raring to go by the time the OSR arrives

Tom, you sound confident like you've had bees before. Why not set out your kit as bait hives and get your name on any swarm list you can? There are plenty of new beekeepers who won't be controlling swarms adequately, and if the truth be known plenty of experienced ones too. I bet we'll see plenty of swarms next spring.

Live in hope.... die in dispair!! :smilielol5:

The auction sounds like good idea chaps. hadnt thought of that one. I,m a newcomer in the respect of having my own colonies but spent alot of time with my uncle as a child. He kept some several hundred colonies in his heyday. And alot of it must have sunk in!! i,m amazed at how much i remember. but that certainly does not mean i dont welcome all suggestions, comments and help. thanks guys.

Back