Colony Removal From Porch

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Enough
markbees049.jpg
[/IMG]
markbees062.jpg
[/IMG]
markbees063.jpg
[/IMG]
markbees066.jpg
[/IMG]
markbees067.jpg
[/IMG]
markbees073.jpg
[/IMG]
markbees075.jpg
[/IMG]
markbees078.jpg
[/IMG]
markbees080.jpg
[/IMG]
markbees082.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Nice easy removal there! I wish i had jobs like that one.

Pity about the quality of the photos though, better luck next time eh? :D

lovely photo's, nice, relatively easy removal job, by the look of it!
thanks for posting, sorry about the sting!

It was an absolute mess!
Honey everywhere.

They must have swarmed recently.
No young brood and 2 hatched QCs.
No sign of the virgin......but one sealed QC remaining.

Fantastic thanks for sharing that great photos.

One question when you have comb and brood and you hope the queen if not seen in the new BB how do you deal with the flying bees that will return to the original nest. Do you raise the BB to the similar height within 3ft of the old nest or is it a case that you dont get all the bees.

PS I love that cottage

tkwinston, the porch was getting taken down and the whole derelict cottage is being renovated, so I'm saving them.
I agree they've built a beautiful home and it was a shame to take them down, but ultimately it was either that, or they get killed.

Tom, I have raised the brood body as I high as I can near the original site.
I am off later to brush any stragglers left in the original location, into a box and pour them into the brood box. If the Q is in there, they'll stay.

What brilliant photos! How did you get stung in the face - nose on the veil??? They must've been there a very long time to have such large and dark comb? My newbee comment: capped brood looks very minimal and pepperpot ...

Well it hasn't proved easy at all.
Just been back up and most of the bees are back in the porch, presumably with the virgin queen.
Tried to brush a load into a box and dump them in the hive, but naturally they run for cover and rest assured the queen is probably under some tile somewhere hiding.
The bees flew back and it was proving very hard to brush them out from all sorts of nooks and crannies...

I might wait until they build some fresh comb and the queen starts laying, then look for her on there. It's turning out to be a losing battle otherwise..

Latest posts

Back