Colony losses in different countries

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Think I will pop the kettle on to read it,just spent 5 minutes reading the begining and it is turning into a good article.

In Holland : "Together with environmental factors and bee management practices these parasites are suspects in the search for the killer. It was found that the number of varroa mites (Varroa destructor) was often high in the samples; varroa is a known killer. In 87% of the sampled apiaries the ‘novel’ microsporidium Nosema ceranae was present, whilst the ‘ancient’ Nosema apis only persisted in 10%."

Norway : We received 524 questionnaires (19%). These beekeepers lost 1813 of their 17 872 colonies from wintering in 2007 to the end of season in 2008. This 10% rate of colony losses is in the same range as in previous years and not unexpectedly high in a country with a harsh climate. Nosema ceranae was identified for the first time in 2007 both in mixed infection with Nosema apis and as single infection in one sample.

Denmark: Interesting to read, Losses high like in CCD ""#The commercial beekeepers of Denmark did a survey amongst 36 of their members based on the high mortality in 2007/2008, reporting losses of 32 % from 11885 colonies. The winter mortality in 2007/08 came suddenly. Losses already started fall 2007 with classical Colony Collapse Disorder symptoms, empty hives with ample supply of food, or just a few bees and the queen left. The same symptoms were reported during much of the winter until the end of April

Last edited:
Admin
two sugars in mine please,
had sany more thoughts on my offer?:svengo:

Regards;

:svengo:

Latest posts

Back