Colony completely gone!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbeekeeper

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi All

You read about this and do not appreciate it until you see it!

Today on inspection one of my hives was 100% zero bees. Last inspection was last weekend and queen seen laying well.

The hive was created from an AS on the 09/06/09. 14/06/09 QC still sealed.

On the 28/06/09 eggs where first seen but not the queen, on the 19/07/09 the queen was marked green.

And today, zero bees only brood left.

Now I could have squashed the queen on the 19/07/09 or the marking has caused them to ball her, but I would have expected to still see bees 7 days later.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
I had a friend with a garden apiary. One stand stood out from the rest by the fact that he could never keep a colony of bees on it, they always absconded at some point:(. He couldn't figure it out!!, In the end he just left the stand redundant :).

John Wilkinson

Hi Jim.

I had a colony abscond about a month ago.
It was a 7 frame nuc with plenty of bees and about 4 frames of brood.
I noticed next to no activity and on checking there was just the brood and less than a frame of bees.
I had been using it to draw wax for other nucs and I was removing a couple of frames per week and giving foundation.
Either the colony got sick of me taking its comb or else it overheated as it absconded on a really hot day.

Did you mark the queen 19/06 or 19/07.
Even if they balled her you would have expected to find all the bees plus emergency cells.

Last edited:
Thanks Jon, yes it was a typo, corrected above.

I had zero bees.

I suspect they might have up stickes for new pastures due to poor forage in my area

Last edited:
Why are Jim's posts in this thread not showing up?? - just a line of dots (..............)

its my fault, I was trying to edit and then it all went wrong. I will try and put it back

Latest posts

Back