colony collapse disorder - radio 4 now

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Missed it BBC says it's not available to listen again due to copyright restrictions.

With this and the constant rubbish on the television ...........

Said very little about varroa, re neonicotinoids lots of studies, no evidence, well - study of one particular neonicotinoid showed quite percentage drop in bee activity ( was it 24% - I might have been mistaken) but anyway that was only one, the others are inconclusive.
So we can go on using neonicotinoids like there's no tomorrow then, eh? Oops - did I really say that?
:banghead::cuss:

CCD- the problem can be summed up in one word ........AMERICANS!!
breeding thousands of queens from one stock, chucking bees from any hive just as long as its 1 litre with any queen, shutting them up for 3 days to travel to pollination, getting there and only having 1 source of pollen and 1 source of nectar then shutting them up for another 3 days and repeat the process blah blah blah i could go on. sorry if your american....no, I mean I'm sorry if your american :)

Yes I heard it and thought it was a bit light on facts.
e.g. that we do not have CCD in this country was not mentioned.

The figures were a drop of 6 - 20% in bee activity (that may not be the correct word) as a result of Imac............. (one of the neonics.)
They made a vary valid point that many of the noenic. studies to date have not measured the data in a way in which it can be evaluated to give these smaller measures. Pleased it's still being discussed.

CCD- the problem can be summed up in one word ........AMERICANS!!
breeding thousands of queens from one stock, chucking bees from any hive just as long as its 1 litre with any queen, shutting them up for 3 days to travel to pollination, getting there and only having 1 source of pollen and 1 source of nectar then shutting them up for another 3 days and repeat the process blah blah blah i could go on. sorry if your american....no, I mean I'm sorry if your american :)

Not all Americans have problems with ccd....most have no problems at all, and are very good beekeepers,there are some bad buggers in this, and every other country,so not really a very fair thing to say about Americans is it.

Not all Americans have problems with ccd....most have no problems at all, and are very good beekeepers,there are some bad buggers in this, and every other country,so not really a very fair thing to say about Americans is it.

Tarring everyone with the same brush springs to mind

Since moving abroad, I think twice before making comments about foreigners, since I am one now, and am frequently on the receiving end of such comments :rolleyes:

From what I understand about neonicotinoids with these being artificial nicotine. Nicotine use in the hive stopped many, many years ago because it rapidly aged the queen. This looks like the likely culprit more than global warming.

" because it rapidly aged the queen."

but the Queen Mother was a heavy smoker and she lasted quite well!

Since moving abroad, I think twice before making comments about foreigners, since I am one now, and am frequently on the receiving end of such comments :rolleyes:

:iagree:

Since moving abroad, I think twice before making comments about foreigners, since I am one now, and am frequently on the receiving end of such comments

You're just another immigrant being a burden on the French people.;)

Chris

On a recent TV documentary (can't recall the name) a US scientist examined samples from many hives that had CCD. She found traces of 22 different pesticides in one bee.

And we wonder why bees are on the decline in some areas!

That's a very large number of different pesticides, (22), or you sure that is correct?

Where I live I doubt that my bees come in contact with more than 3 or 4 types.

Chris

Errrr, ummm, maybe not having seen how the word is defined and covers all manner of other "things".

'Pesticide' is a broad term, covering a range of products that are used to control pests. The slug pellets, ant powder, weed killers, and rat and mouse baits that you may use in your everyday life are all pesticides. Other pesticides you may have heard of include:

insect killers (insecticides)
mould and fungi killers (fungicides)
weedkillers (herbicides)
slug pellets (molluscicides)
plant growth regulators
bird and animal repellents, and
rat and mouse killers (rodenticides)

Chris

Good document Hivemaker.

I'm sure she said 22 in one bee, but then again memory is not what it used to be!

Anyway, they certainly had a lot of nasty stuff in them :(

Latest posts

Back