colonies in sheltered sites

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fincaazul

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Seems some keepers are worried about siting in the open. Both Birmingham and Solihull Associations have apiaries in very sheltered locations, surrounded by mature trees and in the case of Birmingham apiary, a very wet area with trees some 25 metres high or more. Both associations say the site is not ideal and I agree. However, as the bees are in urban settings the location does reduce the possibility of ' neighbour nuisance '. While living in Spain I have seen apiaries sited on hillsides in full sun, up to 40centigrade which produce a good honey crop. Similarly in Crete, although I agree with Brother Adam, he did not think much of Greek bees or their keepers. So, bees can thrive fom Iceland to the Sahara, if they were able to laugh they would be in hysterics at our concerns about moving them a few metres from the hedge. All they want to do is produce honey and despite our inteference, will do so.

Biggest problem with Birmingham apiary site is that hives are invaded by large slugs which eat stored pollen in comb. Bees unable to counter them. Also a tip from Celia Davies, ex National Bee Unit and an accomplished biologist, hives should be at least 5" from ground as Varroa mite can jump surprisingly high trying to re-enter hive. I was not convinced, until I witnessed it.

Last edited:
Dry, frost free, without a persistent howling gale all winter, is likely more important, with early sun, particularly in the spring when foraging early can pay dividends later.

Perhaps the subtlety is in how much surplus they can produce. I do notice that some colonies get that head start in the spring.

RAB

Biggest problem with Birmingham apiary site

Life is a compomise. Little is absolutely perfect and many have to put up with far from ideal conditions.

I don't think it makes much difference how high the hive is if it has a solid floor.

RAB

Dry, frost free, without a persistent howling gale all winter, is likely more important, with early sun, particularly in the spring when foraging early can pay dividends later.

Perhaps the subtlety is in how much surplus they can produce. I do notice that some colonies get that head start in the spring.

RAB

i notice that two hive in full morning sun have the brood moved towards the south east, while the hive that gets afternon sun has the brood towards the south west...guess which two produce more supers..early morning,,,but they biuld QC more than the other ( same stock)

Dry, yes if possible. Frost free? Best time to do oxalic acid dribbling treatment is when hives are frosted as the bees will be in a tight cluster for warmth and treatment can carried out in under a minute. Cold doesn't kill a colony, damp does.

Biggest problem with Birmingham apiary site

Life is a compomise. Little is absolutely perfect and many have to put up with far from ideal conditions.

I don't think it makes much difference how high the hive is if it has a solid floor.

RAB
the dinosaurs also became extinct. If you want to kill your bees then use a solid floor. I post in good faith, hoping to help beekeepers keep their colonies alive. I have little time for posts of this nature and suggest that if you cannot be constructive it is best to keep your own counsel. Sure, some use solid floors, as I did in 1976 when I started. No varroa then but floor cleaning was a considerable chore. Beekeepers need helpful advice, not nitpicking comments. If you know of those using solid floors spend your time informing them of the benefits of open mesh floors. This is supposed to be a friendly forum to pass on help, can we keep it like that?

Best time to do oxalic acid dribbling

And that is not really important if the colonies do not need to be treated with oxalic acid. It was cold enough everywhere last year. I was referring to hives in frost pockets where the bees are late flyers in the spring.

RAB

the dinosaurs also became extinct. If you want to kill your bees then use a solid floor. I post in good faith, hoping to help beekeepers keep their colonies alive. I have little time for posts of this nature and suggest that if you cannot be constructive it is best to keep your own counsel. Sure, some use solid floors, as I did in 1976 when I started. No varroa then but floor cleaning was a considerable chore. Beekeepers need helpful advice, not nitpicking comments. If you know of those using solid floors spend your time informing them of the benefits of open mesh floors. This is supposed to be a friendly forum to pass on help, can we keep it like that?

I use solid floors atm and im varroa free :) if the hives are well looked after and not left to its own devices, it shouldnt be a problem.

well, my 4 colonies on solid floors seem to do well,as do al lof the colonies @ the Norfolk Beekeepers apiary site with solid floors. shall we start another debate about Solid floors vs OMF? LOL:willy_nilly:

Dry, yes if possible. Frost free? Best time to do oxalic acid dribbling treatment is when hives are frosted as the bees will be in a tight cluster for warmth and treatment can carried out in under a minute. Cold doesn't kill a colony, damp does.

There is a paper, maybe by Nanetti that suggests that lower than usual efficacy in some dribbling tests was due to low ambient temperatures.

Too tight a cluster can mean the oxalic acid runs off bees the same as when water is shed from a swarm cluster in the rain.

Some mobility in the cluster is better hence the guidelines for treatment when the temperature is above 4 deg C iirc although the Swiss have recommended anything above 0 deg C.

If you want to kill your bees then use a solid floor.

What a load of utter crap,biggest honey farm in the country uses nothing but solid floors,as do many other commercial beekeepers i know,guess what....they are not in buisness to kill all there bee's.

Last edited:

What a load of utter crap,biggest honey farm in the country uses nothing but solid floors,as do many other commercial beekeepers i know,guess what....they are not in buisness to kill all there bee's.

It`s no good sitting on the fence HM.
What do you really think ? lol.

My bees propolise up open mesh floors. They tell me they don't like them...

I never like to see too strong a set of opinions in a discussion thread as it tends to lead things down a negative route pretty quickly. Can we disagree or state our point in such a way that allows the discussion to continue on the subject without too much pointed comment ...
I have just moved my 2 hives to a new North facing position which seems to get more wind than before. Am a little concerned about the coming winter and the wind, rain, and snow blowing at them. I may need to put a barrier in-front for winter.

Sam

But are they in business to promote the best interests of the bees? I rather think not!

Can't be i suppose......as all there colonys die every winter on solid floors.

Back