Collecting Bees for Disease Sample

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBK

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have an adult bee disease microscopy course coming up and need to collect (and then kill :eek:( ) a sample of 30 bees. I've been advised that the bees should be flying bees so any ideas on the best and least distressing way to collect around 30 flyers?

Open a hive and collect about 30 bees from the outer periferies of the colony, as the young bees will be in or around the brood. Then kill them with chloroform or any acid, just let them smell the stuff do not drown them in any compound.Ethyl acetate (a component of nail polish remover), is what is commonly used.

Mo

Hi BBK
Are you taking the BBKA Exam in Microscopy ? If you are its better to kill the bees on the day of the exam in front of the assessors. Then you have a real fresh specimin to test for Acarine before Nosema.

Mo

I've not done this but was told a good way is to draw a large matchbox (partly opened) across the front of the landing board.

It is very easy to collect a sample of flying bees. Block off the entrance on (ideally) a sunny day with for example a strip of sponge. Wait until there are plenty of returning foragers clustered around the entrance and then gather them in your matchbox.

The reason for collecting flying bees is they are the oldest so are most likely to show disease symptoms of things like nosema.

How you kill them depends on what they are going to be used for. If it is for a nosema check then they can be killed in the freezer and take out on the day of the course.

Thanks to all. The course is not for an exam - more informal but I should adopt best practice in any case. I need them for Saturday so I'll go for a collection on Friday afternoon and try the nail polish on cotton wool approach. Many thanks for the tips.

It is very easy to collect a sample of flying bees. Block off the entrance on (ideally) a sunny day with for example a strip of sponge. Wait until there are plenty of returning foragers clustered around the entrance and then gather them in your matchbox.
From another discussion, I believe that the examiners do not accept that an ordinary matchbox will hold 30 bees. The last time I took a sample I used this method and a box 2"x1.5"x0.6" and counted the bees I got 37 worker bees Apis melifera melifera. So you might need to quote this.
Ruary

I have an adult bee disease microscopy course coming up and need to collect (and then kill :eek:( ) a sample of 30 bees. I've been advised that the bees should be flying bees so any ideas on the best and least distressing way to collect around 30 flyers?

I went on a brilliant microscopy course earlier in the year - you are in for a treat. I collected the bees by swiping, using a tupperware type box and then popping them in the freezer for a short while.

Have fun on the course.
Cazza

Hi Cazza
Where was this Microacopy Course that you attended earlier this year and who ran the course?

Mo

Hi MO
It was the FSC weekend at Flatford Mill which I think John Cowan has run for years, a really good introduction for me.
C

Thanks again to everyone. It's a bit drizzly hear today so hopefully I'll be able to collect my sample of flyers from the front of the hive when I get home later afternoon. Looking forward to my course and learning even more about my new hobby.

Cazza,
I had booked (and paid) to go on that course but was unable to attend. :(

Latest posts

Back