cold way to warm way

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephenpug

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
none at the moment but will be getting langstroth
I was a bit hasty putting a nuc into a hive and put them in the cold way BUT it is easier to maneuver the warm way for inspections
so how do i move them back to the warm way :ohthedrama:

Turn the brood box through 90 degrees, there shouldn't be a problem, leaving the entrance facing the same way as it does now.
E

Turn the brood box through 90 degrees, there shouldn't be a problem, leaving the entrance facing the same way as it does now.
E

Thanks enrico :thanks: only the still in my first year so still a LOT to learn not worthy

E

I think it may be better to lift the brood box off the floor and only turn it a quarter of the way round, the bees may of got used to running up and down the combs in the present orientation, so a full turn on the floor may confuse them...so turn gently in stages over a number of days..like two or three.

I think it may be better to lift the brood box off the floor and only turn it a quarter of the way round, the bees may of got used to running up and down the combs in the present orientation, so a full turn on the floor may confuse them...so turn gently in stages over a number of days..like two or three.

Surely that means moving the entrance to a different place! You want them to leave and return to the same spot they are now, I would suggest what goes on inside the hive is separate to outside orientation. Inside they don't really care which way they are facing. The main thing is for them to find the entrance.....but I may be wrong, I often am!

Problem is that warm and cold way is humbug.
A proper ventilation is serious question, but quite few understand that.

Like a mesh floor in 3 frame nuc. It is surely cold to every direction.

Just now I have electrict heaters on solid floors. it works.

Last edited:
Problem is that warm and cold way is humbug.
QUOTE]

I have always thought this too. Can't find any science behind it.

Turn the box 90 degrees in one go as per Enrico, they'll be fine.
Cazza

I think you must be advocating this because you've just made the jigs for your patented circular orbit hive.

One beekeeper wrote that he puts winter wrappings on north wall because cold comes from north.

Surely that means moving the entrance to a different place!

No it doesn't - read his post more carefully. It may leave an large gap at the floor level for a day or two!!

Are you being facetious?

Sounds like a fair plan, coming so soon after some of the answers to another question, about how difficult it is to turn a hive to face the opposite question.

Sounds like a fair plan, coming so soon after some of the answers to another question, about how difficult it is to turn a hive to face the opposite question.

But the point is your not, you're just changing the orientaton of the frames, which with an OMF floor has no effect on the dynamics of the hive - the entrance stays in the same place

I'd also put a light in for them so that they can see the interior changes.

Surely that means moving the entrance to a different place!

No it doesn't - read his post more carefully. It may leave an large gap at the floor level for a day or two!!

Call me thick but I still don't see how it works! Can you explain it to me simply. As I see it the entrance faces south all the time and you lift the box so that the face that was facing west is now facing south, are you suggesting that this turn should be so that it is now facing SW and the floor sticks out at all corners! I just can't see what the post means however many times I read it!

Call me thick but I still don't see how it works! Can you explain it to me simply. As I see it the entrance faces south all the time and you lift the box so that the face that was facing west is now facing south, are you suggesting that this turn should be so that it is now facing SW and the floor sticks out at all corners! I just can't see what the post means however many times I read it!

I think maybe access to a tongue in cheek smilie would have clarified the issue :D
Maybe on that subject we should have a foot in mouth one as well!!

I think maybe access to a tongue in cheek smilie would have clarified the issue :D
Maybe on that subject we should have a foot in mouth one as well!!

He he ....:icon_204-2: Very subtle humour - I had to read it a couple of times before the penny dropped ! Not April 1st either !

Latest posts

Back