Coated new hive with possible insect repellent ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charentejohn

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
warre
Number of Hives
Hi, just a quick question on O'Cedar polish I used to coat my new hive.
Having checked ingredients and nothing seeming bad, turpentine etc which after a few weeks would evaporate off. I now think it may be a mistake as it still smells, not unpleasant to me, a bit like sawm sappy wood that overheated when sawn.

I read further and think this may be a Cedar smell which is an insect repellent.
Should I replace the hive bodies ?

I have set it up in the hope of attracting a swarm which won't happen if it smells wrong. I can obtain a swarm from local keepers but not a good idea if this will only make them move on, with the waste of energy to them that entails.

Any thoughts, but I think I know the answer as any strong smell would be bad ?

My red cedar hives are full of insects!
Used one box as as a bait hive this year and that attracted a swarm.

Thanks, I looked at the ingredients and the one thing it didn't contain was cedar oil :)
It does smell though even after a couple of weeks so I have a feeling it will remain and may overpower the attractant.
So, based on replacement hive bodies being cheap I may just replace them. I will leave these out for another week or so till I get the new ones ready, like you say worth a try anyway. If it does work, being furniture polish, it is quite waterproof anyway.
I can buy two new hive bodies and 400ml of 'linea' paint which says it is made from veg oil and bee safe for the princely sum of £42(ish) so may as well. I can reuse the others in the future once the smell has gone, bit of sanding and a coat of paint.
They can be stored and used if new ones deteriorate over the years. Just that swarms have started and shame to miss a local one, direct to the hive or via local keepers. Loads of black bees on the flowers at the moment.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back