Clusters of bees outside the hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Busy Bee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
This evening I took a quick look at a hive I have and have noticed bees crawling around outside on their own and also small clusters of bees around 20 in no. around the hive and in the grass. Around about 300-400 bees, what possiblably be going on?

Might be behaviour related to swarming activity.

Might be an awfully cramped and poorly ventilated hive on a warm and humid evening. A bit like sleeping with your window open.

I had a similar situation last year,and after close inspection I noticed my queen under the hive,I must have dropped her while I was inspecting.

I have noticed the same thing. I have a nuc with a new queen but not laying yet and this evening I noticed little groups of bees on the ground in front of the hive. I wondered if they could be starving but I have been feeding them. I had a quick look inside because I was worried but there seems to be fresh nectar/syrup being stored. What's going on??

Also, I did an AS on my other hive this afternoon. Should I feed one or both of the brood boxes? Opinions seem divided. Any advice please.

Should I feed one or both of the brood boxes?

Think about it. When a swarm leaves, it takes about 3 day's worth of stores with it, to get started building it's new home. That is all they need. Any more and they will be filling laying space instead.

Weather needs to be taken into account of course, but that is different for any instance.

If they are foraging normally, they will get along fine. If not, they may starve.

RAB

Weather in Norwich today has been very muggy.... Not a great deal of sun tho.

Bees been very inactive....Perhaps they suss that a storm might be brewing? At the moment there's loads of then in the entrance tube of the obs hive getting some air...

Same problem this evening with my hive outside Woodbridge where it has been very warm and 'heavy' today also. Hoping it isn't preparation for swarming though as I'm a bit of a novice and may come unstuck! Any advice anybody can add would be gratefully received!

Same with my colony which recently swarmed (into my stand-by hive thankfully). The 'swarm' was acting quite normal with bees coming & going but the original colony was acting agitated, with bees covering the front of the brood box, landing board & also many flying around but going nowhere. Weather up here was also warm but heavy cloud cover with odd spots of rain. I think either the weather was bothering mine or maybe the new virgin queen being enticed out to her mating flight. Any other ideas beeks?

Should I feed one or both of the brood boxes?

Think about it. When a swarm leaves, it takes about 3 day's worth of stores with it, to get started building it's new home. That is all they need. Any more and they will be filling laying space instead.

Weather needs to be taken into account of course, but that is different for any instance.

If they are foraging normally, they will get along fine. If not, they may starve.

RAB
Not in the case of the AS though.

To the OP, it depends upon whether the parent colony is being given drawn combs or foundations. Bearing in mind they will have all the flying bees. You probably won't need to feed, but if in doubt give a comb of stores.
No point in feeding poor substitutes ie. sugar, if you can help it.

NBK,

Pray tell me the difference and explain your reasoning.

The bees have the brood with oodles of nectar and a honey arch over each brood frame. New foragers will increase in number day on day. Brood feed requirements will decrease day on day.

Exactly how much more sugar do they require if the new foraging bees are out and busy soon after?

Exactly how much sugar does the old queen part need - it has most of the foraging bees and most of the stores.

I still say "If they don't need it, don't feed it!"

I DO feed if they DO need it.

RAB

Looks like pre swarm activity.... keep up the check for queen cells... and if you find any remove but for one (uncapped with a fat grub) and do an AS?

Looks like pre swarm activity.... keep up the check for queen cells... and if you find any remove but for one (uncapped with a fat grub) and do an AS?

That sounds like it is right on the money....... doing an inspection today weather here was crap prevented inspection this 3 days will let you all know what I find this may give an indication of swarming or weather... I feel more likely swarming.

Would it be a good idea to make a nuc with the old queen instead of an AS? She was a new queen last year. (That is if she is still in the hive).

Busy Bee

Yip just got to them in time but it could be Supersedure 1 queen cell top of frame no else so done AS see how it goes. At least I still have queen.

Busy Bee

Latest posts

Back