Cluster under the hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lceumt

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi,

I've got an odd problem / situation where I've got (my) bees clustering under my hive. The are clinging to the underside of the mesh floor. They have done this now for a month or more. I stopped it at one point by putting the varroa board in so there was no room to cluster but took it back out again after about a week. Looking in the hive about a week ago and I have a lot of bees so losing some this way (they are there day and night) although not good, does not seem to be reducing the numbers too much.

Anybody seen this before or have any ideas what might cause it?

Should I put the varroa board back and just leave it there?

Thanks

Mick

There is a thread here already about this problem.

Someone suggested a board in front at low level so they use the correct entrance.

A queen may be in that cluster, and your bees may have swarmed at some point. If there are eggs in your hive then all is ok.

you need to provide an extended landing board and/or shuttering around stand so they don't head under rather than in.

I also had this problem last year, with dying bees around the hive also.
It was confirmed as pesticide poisoning, even though I live in an urban area. The bee inspector told me that the colony will often prevent bees from re-entering the hive when they realise that there is a problem.

Bees that cluster outside the hive (called hive beards if on front of hive) are usually there because there is not enough room inside. Try adding another super. If they go in then it is a shortage of room problem. There is the possibility that it is a swarm from another colony that decided to make a nest under the mesh floor of your hive. I have seen this lots of times over the last few years (see my thread "mesh floors: do bees attract bees )

Thanks for the responses.

I doubt there is a queen there otherwise this would have happened twice as when I added the varroa board the clustering stopped. However, I am new to this so am happy to be proved wrong.

It could well be Pesticide poisoning as have had a number of bees dying on the othside of the hive.

Will also look at putting on another super and see what that does.

Really appreciate your help and will look at the Other thread.

Mick

Latest posts

Back