Cloudy honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rock_Chick

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Hi,I'm just in the middle on jarring my honey,I put it though a two stage sieve from thornes.I left it for a week to settle in a warm room with a heater belt(type used in home brew).
Problem is the honey is very cloudy,have I over warmed it.
it tastes great and smell just as it should.
or am I being just fussy

Last edited:
What temperature did it get to? If only around 30 - 35 degrees - nothing.

More likely it is starting to crystallise/granulate and that may well depend on the origin of the honey.

Presumably it was clear when 'sieved'? Most use a filter cloth, and 200 microns is probably the most popular mesh size.

Regards, RAB

RAB has the answer I think. It is probably crystals of sugar but might just be bubbles from the straining if the warming belt did not warm it up to about 30 or 35C.

If you do get it to clear you are likely to see bits of bee in the honey - small black specks such as feet and bits of antenna. A stainless steel filter of the type you decribe is not really fine enough. You need 200 micron to get the visible bits out, as already suggested.

cloudy honey

If I've done it right Then there is a pic of the honey.
The heat belt give a temp of about 28c-30c,when bottling the honey it was lovely and runny and did not seem granulated just cloudy.
the honey was clear when sieved,I've used this sieve before and had lovely clear honey fine mesh 0.5mm,the only thing I did different this year was use the heat belt.

Bubbles or it is beginning to ferment. Try standing a jar in the airing cupboard where it will get a bit warmer. If it is bubbles you should start to see it clear from the bottom after a day or so. You may not even see the individual bubbles as they can be very small.

In case it is fermenting loosen the lid first!

Latest posts

Back