Cloud of bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SixFooter

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I lost a swarm some time last week - not sure when. I removed all but one QC from the remaining colony on Friday.

Lots of bees came out of the hive this morning and swirled around the hive to about 15 ft up and radius of about the same. They gradually dissipated and it looked as though they went back into the hive. Straight after this a few bees started bringing in pollen!

Is this likely to be a mating flight or do the bees get excited like this about the virgin emerging?

A few bees are now bringing in pollen. Before today, I hadnt seen any pollen coming in since the swarm left.

Got to be a good sign - Yes?

Had the same here yesterday. Swarm was hived on Sunday, then the swirling mass yesterday, then bees seen going in with pollen. They seem to be still resident today.

They've just done it again. Hopefully it's mating flights, so the colony might be back in business soon.

I lost a swarm some time last week - not sure when. I removed all but one QC from the remaining colony on Friday.

Lots of bees came out of the hive this morning and swirled around the hive to about 15 ft up and radius of about the same. They gradually dissipated and it looked as though they went back into the hive. Straight after this a few bees started bringing in pollen!

Is this likely to be a mating flight or do the bees get excited like this about the virgin emerging?

A few bees are now bringing in pollen. Before today, I hadnt seen any pollen coming in since the swarm left.

Got to be a good sign - Yes?

Bit of an obvious one but did you by chance re check the hive 4 days after you removed all but one queen cell. Just that its possible they have built more queen cells.

Latest posts

Back