Closing off the hive entrance

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bees knees

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hello everyone.
We need to close off our hive entrances for a few days to get some building work done. How long is it ok to close them off for at this time of year do you think? They have OMF.
Thanks.

I have never gone passed 3 days but I hear stories of beekeepers closing hives for 2 weeks but you better ask them

at this time of year - and with the current weather I should think you could keep them closed for ages - leave them out at the weekends when the builders aren't working (officially that is)

I had to keep a hive closed up while severn trent were working on the drains just before christmas.
I used foam to block them in and kept the foam wet so they could get a drink if needed.
Moved the hive 4 days later and opened them up. No dead bees found but they weren't in the best of moods.

Suppose it depends on outside temp. Finman would tell you his are snowed in for ages.

With omf you can shut them in for a fortnight at this time of year with no problem.

I used foam to block them in and kept the foam wet so they could get a drink if needed.

A really silly question this, but what sort of foam is it that people use to seal hives with? I've seen it in lots of videos but I've always wondered what it was, and where you get it from!

A really silly question this, but what sort of foam is it that people use to seal hives with? I've seen it in lots of videos but I've always wondered what it was, and where you get it from!

Not a silly question.

The foam that is used for chair seats / cushions etc. Fairly soft so that you can squeeze it into the hole and it stays put. It needs to be roughly twice the width of the hole so it stays in place. A raid on old furniture at your local tip might provide a supply, after asking first of course.

Decorators sponges from any diy place do the job if you only need one or two hive entrances blocked.

Latest posts

Back