Closing hive due to robbing

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
After all was quiet last night l closed up one hive which was being quite badly robbed. How long can l leave it closed? The weather is appalling for the next few days so l doubt any bees would be venturing out anyway. I think l spilt syrup when changing the feeder, but all cleared up now.

Hive is wbc with omf.

After all was quiet last night l closed up one hive which was being quite badly robbed. How long can l leave it closed? The weather is appalling for the next few days so l doubt any bees would be venturing out anyway. I think l spilt syrup when changing the feeder, but all cleared up now.

Hive is wbc with omf.
C 24h, bees need to get out for water, air will be exchanged via OMF & assume they have stores hence robbing. Best to consider moving the hive, even if temporary for a few days, if robbing a real issue.

C 24h, bees need to get out for water, air will be exchanged via OMF & assume they have stores hence robbing. Best to consider moving the hive, even if temporary for a few days, if robbing a real issue.
Rain seems to have dampened the robbers' spirits! Opened up the hive again today, still raining, but no robbers.

Just wondering, Lesley, are you feeding all your colonies or is it a case of those that need it? I'm thinking feed the robbers during this wet spell, make sure they know it's there, dribble some into the hive and see if that takes their attention from the other hive. Reduce the entrance to a bee space on the weaker colony.

Just wondering, Lesley, are you feeding all your colonies or is it a case of those that need it? I'm thinking feed the robbers during this wet spell, make sure they know it's there, dribble some into the hive and see if that takes their attention from the other hive. Reduce the entrance to a bee space on the weaker colony.
I have been feeding all colonies for the last fortnight, some with syrup some with fondant, as l'm not confident of my hefting ability! Perhaps that's the problem - those with fondant maybe prefer the smell of syrup as l add lemongrass oil to encourage uptake. Anyway, it will just be fondant from now on, however careful l am, syrup always gets onto kitchen floor and as l am SWMBO l have to clear it up myself 😢

It takes only one bee to find the syrup? Some of my invert gets thymol for medicinal purposes. I find that bees are up in the feeder even before I start to fill it. If they aren’t they get a trickle down the cone.

I add Hive-Alive to all syrup and find it is like a magic potion for the bees, yes a little expensive but when next March comes I'll have bees dancing jigs on the landing boards! bee-smillie Quite amazing stuff!

I add Hive-Alive to all syrup and find it is like a magic potion for the bees, yes a little expensive but when next March comes I'll have bees dancing jigs on the landing boards! bee-smillie Quite amazing stuff!
Save yourself a fortune - most of it is snakeoil mixed with fairy dust - the only useful ingredient is thymol, mix your own at a fraction of the cost - the recipe is in the technical resources section.
https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/threa...ma-fermentation-of-syrup-feed.6513/post-74387

I'm not trying to prevent mould growth, so no thymol, just lemongrass oil to encourage uptake of syrup - very successful in my experience.

Thymol has more advantages then as a anti mould ingredient, and will do more then lemongrass.

If bees can’t smell syrup, how does a little spilt syrup (usually on the crown board?) generate robbing so quickly?
Wasps seem to find it very quickly as well.

Back