closing bees in

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dano41

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Hi,I have to move two hives on a stand for about two or three days next week, getting a drainage sump put underneath were the bees are then moving them back again,will I be doing any harm closing them in for this peroid of time, they are on open mesh floors.

why not just move them and open as normal - apparently trick is to put a branch in front of the entrance to trigger reorientation. If you do this it works well. If you don't do this most of the field bees will go back to the old location.

If you don't do this most of the field bees will go back to the old location.

which will not go down well with the workmen......or in relation th the work, they might go down the well....

Confining the bees is never a good idea !

Restricting the entrance with branches etc. is plain nonsense !

The way to tackle this is to move the bees a couple of miles, so that the flying bees will not stumble onto their old flight lines which guide them back to the original site !.
When task is accomplished, return hives to original site .
If you leave the hives away from the original site for more than a week you can then put them wherever you like in the vicinity of the old site (rearrange your apiary if you like ;) )

John Wilkinson

I agree with John on this one.
Move the Hives somewhere else for a few days
Its worth asking your Local Association Members as most will be happy to accommodate a couple of Hives for a week.
(Needs to be over 2 miles away though).

Latest posts

Back