Closeup Photography

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnyP

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
It seems some folks can get some wonderful closeup shots. Yesterday I completely failed. Everything came out blury with my trusty Panasonic Lumix TZ camera. I thought I was on the macro setting.

I wasn't suited up so I didn't want to get too close. Can anyone give advice on macro photography from a distance? :thanks:

It seems some folks can get some wonderful closeup shots. Yesterday I completely failed. Everything came out blury with my trusty Panasonic Lumix TZ camera. I thought I was on the macro setting.

I wasn't suited up so I didn't want to get too close. Can anyone give advice on macro photography from a distance? :thanks:

Even the slightest movement will be magnified resulting in blur, a tripod will stop camera shake but are not always handy or convenient, try to hold camera against something solid.

Russ

Just get in there, close and personal. A few stings arent the worst thing ever and tbh, when i took some unsuited, the bees really werent interested in me tbh.

I took thes with my little digital camera by just getting in there and didnt get one sting.

553642_264095820370394_1725781524_n.jpg

Last edited:

I have a lumix TZ20 and I find that the range of focus for near shots is very limited. If the zoom is set too high the distance at which the camera will focus is too far. I would suggest that this is what your problem is.
Solutions are get closer and use less zoom
or get further away and use full zoom to get the detail. You need to be steady or vibration will spoil the shot.
http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/album.php?albumid=499&pictureid=2644 This was taken as a test to see what the zoom could do. It was hand held.

Read the camera manual carefully and then experiment by taking as many photographs as you can of something that is at the same distance from your camera as the bees are likely to be. Download the pictures and check the EXIF data of all of them, to work out which settings have given the best results. Then you'll be able to repeat it, but bear in mind that the amount of daylight (shade, cloud levels, time of day etc) is important.

If you use a narrow aperture (say f10 or higher numbers) you will get more in focus, but because the camera will need more light the shutter stays open longer. This can lead to a poor picture because either you or the subject moves while the shutter is open.

If you use a wider aperture (say f5.6 or lower numbers) your focussing will need to be very good because insects can move out of shot (range) very quickly and you end up with a blurry bee and a beautifully detailed bit of hive. Using a wide aperture at a distance while focussing on a small moving object can be quite a challenge.

If you want to use the macro setting it might be worth also using flash. It won't bother the bees, but will mean the aperture is open for less time. If you can also select a higher f number you will increase your chances of getting the insects in focus.

Try, also, using Aperture priority. It can make a lot of difference. Your manual will explain how.

Last edited:
i dont have Panasonic Lumix TZ but have the Sony HX20V with 20x mag which is similar spec

the close up focus shortest shooting distance is approximately 1 cm (13/32 inches) (W) and 1.7 m (5 ft 7 inches) (T) in telephoto mode

i dont have Panasonic Lumix TZ but have the Sony HX20V with 20x mag which is similar spec

the close up focus shortest shooting distance is approximately 1 cm (13/32 inches) (W) and 1.7 m (5 ft 7 inches) (T) in telephoto mode

Someone posted a sensational bee in a snowdrop foto a week ago on some other thread - does anyone remember it, please. They also gave instructions about camera and setting etc.

If you want close up from a distance then you need along lens. 300mm or more ideally. One with anti shake (vibration reduction) is best if you can afford it.

For pocket size one with a flexible screen is handy although you will need to get close with these smaller cameras.

Heidi, your new avatar is giving me nightmares - it reminds me of a decapitated head in a hat...can we have your old avatar back...please...pretty please...
:eek:

Someone posted a sensational bee in a snowdrop foto a week ago on some other thread - does anyone remember it, please. They also gave instructions about camera and setting etc.

Thread is
"Survival rate for winter 2013" in Beekeepng forum
photo and details are on page 8 and 9 of the replies.
Regards
Alan

Latest posts

Back