Clive de Bruyn.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hivemaker.

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Clive died in his sleep on Wednesday 1 July.

Thank you for giving Clive his own thread. Masterbk had already announce this in the "what did you do" and it was in danger of getting lost.
Great bloke, great beekeeper. Enjoyed his company, tales and talks.
Cazza

Very sad news RIP Clive

That's sad news indeed.

I once watched him do a hive inspection at Belvedere House in Mullingar and will always remember his test for aggression. Lift the crown board, a puff of smoke and Karate chop the brood frames at 90deg. If the bees react they are aggressive.

Oh, and sticking a bit of fresh grass in the top of the smoker to cool the smoke.

Rest in peace Clive.

Shocked and sorry to hear that. He was such a vital man.

Was he a member of this forum? He sounds like a quite a man! RIP, thinking of his family xx

So sad.... Can't think he was that old either ? His Practical Beekeeping Book was one of the first bee books I read ... and I kept it .. which is more than can be said for some of the rubbish bee books I bought ... I never heard him speak but I understand he was very entertaining and knowledgeable. Sad loss.

Ahh that's where I recognise his name from.

That's a pity, but he'll be in the company of many other great beekeepers now. I hope his family has told his bees he's gone.

I was privileged to have him stay at my home a while back. Such a wealth of knowledge and great fun too. He will be sadly missed.

I was privileged to have him stay at my home a while back. Such a wealth of knowledge and great fun too. He will be sadly missed.

Ditto WE took him to dinners after an afternoon AGM lecture and what a wealth of knowledge he had and had us all interested all evening, even my wife who had no interest in bees at all

That's sad news indeed.

I once watched him do a hive inspection at Belvedere House in Mullingar and will always remember his test for aggression. Lift the crown board, a puff of smoke and Karate chop the brood frames at 90deg. If the bees react they are aggressive.

Oh, and sticking a bit of fresh grass in the top of the smoker to cool the smoke.

Rest in peace Clive.

Now I cannot see that written anywhere so this is new and valuable information. But wait a minute! Does ANY colony pass that test? I have some of the most famously placid bees I know of (Hivemaker. Buckfasts) and they come up through the frames at me anyway so what level of placidity are we talking about here?

Now I cannot see that written anywhere so this is new and valuable information. But wait a minute! Does ANY colony pass that test? I have some of the most famously placid bees I know of (Hivemaker. Buckfasts) and they come up through the frames at me anyway so what level of placidity are we talking about here?

He was also renowned for his wicked sense of humour :D

That's really sad news , he did a talk at one of the meetings in the winter, he was very funny....brought a bucket of dried elephant poo with him( to demonstrate the wide range of smoker fuel available!).

Clive de Bruyn

We have lost a true master of our beekeeping craft..RIP

Happily, somebody got their wires crossed :)

Clive's alive and well. The following is being circulated now as a correction:

It is with relief that I can inform you that the Essex mafia got it wrong and our Clive is as far as I know still hale and hearty. He will have a good giggle about this when we see him. What a relief.

Latest posts

Back