Clipping queens.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickhugill

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
I'm struggling to clip my queens. I've managed only once in the last five attempts. The last attempt the bloody thing flew away, but i was fortunate to be able to catch her.
Is there a way of keeping them relatively immobile without squishing them?
Also, is there any real need to clip them anyway?

hi mate theres no need to clip queens the only queens i would even consider doing would be a valuable breeder but even then i am more inclined to leave her whole when young. Clipping may delay swarming if your lucky, or you find swarm in the grass in front of hive that’s about it..Ian

Last edited:
Clipping is a personal thing. If you are not confident picking here up use a crown of thornes to imobilize here.

If you don't have the confidence to pick up a queen for clipping or don't want to for some other reason, a one handed queen catcher works well. The slots for marking are quite large (bigger than the squares on a crown of thorns) and you don't have to wait long for a wing to pop up through one of the slots.

Marking and clipping queens is, I think, an individual thing. Just because someone who's very very confident shows you how they do it doesn't mean that their method would work well for you. I've tried most of them...and picking up and trapping legs between thumb/fingers is okay...But I personally am not very confident using that method.
And confidence is the key.
If I could give any advice it would be try several and see what works best for you. For me it's Crown of Thorns for marking (and occasionally wing clipping if they stick out).
Wing clipping is easy once they are marked,....hold and clip ...but that is what works for me...You should do whatever works for you.

Last edited:
I too have to learn this - I plan to practice on drones. As I understand it the likelihood of a prime swarm ending up in a neighbour's chimney is greatly reduced with a clipped queen, therefore I feel it is worthwhile.

Also I had a colony this year swarming after I carried out an A/S, I reckon a clipped queen might have been damage limitation here too.

I clip all my queens, working 6 days a week is the perfect way to lose swarms and thus your workforce. If the queen jumps into the grass the bees often lose her and most return to the hive and if you have a good look about you will usually find the queen and a cup of bees in the grass close by to stick in a Nuc.

I use bare hands and just trap the queen head first on the comb between thumb and forefinger and cut the tips off both wings, never lost a queen yet that way. I use crown of thorns to mark her in.

I only ever clip early in the 2nd season so they have chance to raise a new one if I squish her or chop off a leg, but its never happened yet.

I'm struggling to clip my queens. I've managed only once in the last five attempts. The last attempt the bloody thing flew away, but i was fortunate to be able to catch her.
Is there a way of keeping them relatively immobile without squishing them?
Also, is there any real need to clip them anyway?

Like me you need to read until you feel your head hurting in a good way..
:rolleyes:

Many thanks for all the advice. I think i'll not worry too much in future about trying to clip them. There's more chance of me doing more harm than good for little benefit.

There's more chance of me doing more harm than good for little benefit.
Disagree strongly here. Not clipping leads to swarming when your back is turned and despite ones best intentions it happens. Clipping means you do not lose your workforce. It also means neighbors don't have to deal with a swarm of your bees settling in their tree or taking up residence in their cavity wall.

I work all week and have had neighbours with my swarm hanging off their house while I'm at work, so that's why I clip. Otherwise I wouldn't do it.

I use crown of thornes to catch her on the comb, then from my pocket produce a queen catcher Q0010 and then transfer her into a Turn and Mark cage Q0019. Both items are £3 from a well known supplier, T****e.

This plunger cage is my preferred type because the grill has straight bars, not crisscross, and is easier to use. Just turn until the wing can open out, without catching her back leg. Plunger stops and holds tight without crushing her.

Also means while she is trapped you have time to place the frame back and not distract the colony too much, giving you peace to perform the operation.

Better to clip one forewing rather than both but watch out for the queen lifting a back leg just as you are about to close the scissors resulting in you chopping the end of of leg off. Best to practise on drones til you are confident about it but bear in mind drones don't lift a leg like that (unlike male dogs!)

Attachments

• Q with part of leg missing .jpg
    Q with part of leg missing .jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 13
I clipped my queens for the 1st time this year. combining family, work and bees, I have to work around the schedule to inspect. I have had bees swarm ahead of the 7 days schedule and sometimes I can only inspect after 8 or 9 days. the clipping ensures me they do not abandon me before virgins emerge. have not had one swarm on me yet this year...

I work all week and have had neighbours with my swarm hanging off their house while I'm at work, so that's why I clip. Otherwise I wouldn't do it.

I use crown of thornes to catch her on the comb, then from my pocket produce a queen catcher Q0010 and then transfer her into a Turn and Mark cage Q0019. Both items are £3 from a well known supplier, T****e.

This plunger cage is my preferred type because the grill has straight bars, not crisscross, and is easier to use. Just turn until the wing can open out, without catching her back leg. Plunger stops and holds tight without crushing her.

Also means while she is trapped you have time to place the frame back and not distract the colony too much, giving you peace to perform the operation.
That is exactly what i use and do and it is so simple and safe for the Queen.

Latest posts

Back