Clipped both wings of the Queen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liam C Ryan

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
On Saturday while I was trying, for my first time, to mark and clip a queen I clipped both her wings . I checked this evening to see if she was still alive and well and she is and laying away. Will she be ok?
Regards
Liam C

Will she be ok?

until she tries to fly.....

Is there not a queen in a species of ant / termite that actually gets its wings bitten off by the other ants when she comes back from her mating flight... sure I saw a video of it?

Will she be ok?

until she tries to fly.....

Is there not a queen in a species of ant / termite that actually gets its wings bitten off by the other ants when she comes back from her mating flight... sure I saw a video of it?

I think all queen ant wings fall off after mating flight (well all the ones I've seen do)

Bees may have decide the queen is ''damage'' and replace her.

An expert beek of long standing (75 years) told me that he has experienced queens being helped to fly when swarming with only one of the wings clipped - so he (and I) always do both. Not much ppoint in not doing so. The only problem with popping the queen back straight after marking and clipping is thatshe might get balled due to interference with her pheramone pong. For that reason, always reintroduce within a cage.

Last edited:
I've seen (and caught) a flying queen with both wings clipped.... It wasn't pretty or graceful, but she was able to get a reasonable distance and height.

I've seen a 15ft flight landing on a shed roof 8ft high achieved by a queen with one clipped wing.

Now they get both clipped.

Lovely sunny day here in Tipperary so I decided to check on my marked Queen and delighted to see eggs and larva in all stages. Trilled!! Also just come back from two days in Gormstown Summer course , wonderful occasion, wonderful people with all the information one would need to know about beekeeping.

I'm so jealous - too busy at work to get to G'ton this year. Glad to hear the queen's none the worse for the clip!

Latest posts

Back