Climate Change EV Threat to Bees

Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

Karol 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Lets just say I was asked to look into climate science by a non profit NGO. Having a formal science background with no affiliations to climate science I've spent the last 10 months researching the subject in considerable depth. My conclusion is that we do affect climate but that elevated CO2 levels are predominantly an effect rather than a cause. What is clear is that CO2 levels have been much higher in Earth's history prior to industrialisation.

Apple 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
But the climate change deniers will still maintain that everything is peachy
Would that be the one who said he was going to make America "Great" again????

Could also be the reason why the planet is also going through a period of mass extinction, faster than the one that killed off the dinasores?

Apple 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Lets just say I was asked to look into climate science by a non profit NGO. Having a formal science background with no affiliations to climate science I've spent the last 10 months researching the subject in considerable depth. My conclusion is that we do affect climate but that elevated CO2 levels are predominantly an effect rather than a cause. What is clear is that CO2 levels have been much higher in Earth's history prior to industrialisation.
But Oxygen levels have stayed relatively constant.....

Still a bit concerned about CFCs... the ones that caused an ozone hole... are still being manufactured in China?

madasafish 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
8x Langstroth, a few Lang nucs,1x TBH, and about 17 mating mini nucs

Oh yes.
And higher temperatures as well
Think dinosaurs

" Temperatures fell slightly, although it was still warmer than today due to higher amounts of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. Rainfall increased as a result of the large seas appearing between the land masses "

Karol 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
But Oxygen levels have stayed relatively constant.....

Still a bit concerned about CFCs... the ones that caused an ozone hole... are still being manufactured in China?
The change in CO2 levels represents a change in the atmosphere of just over 0.01% by parts (not volume). O2 levels in the atmosphere are circa 21% so a complementary change of 0.01% is unlikely to be detected.

BeeGiner 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
On the threat to bees of climate change I would think virtually none. The bee’s themselves will evolve, if they need to, to tolerate the climate changes, after all bees are currently found all over the planet. There might be some habitat loss due to the sea level rising and there will probably be some habitat gain from receding glaciers and higher snow lines. There might also be a marginal change in flora as some plants move their range into the higher latitudes and some become rare or even extinct but nothing I can see that bee’s won’t be able to cope with.
I am happy to be contradicted if someone see’s things differently.

Karol 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
I concur that climate change per se is unlikely to be much of a threat to bees. Over extraction of water as an unintended consequence of pursuing lithium based energy systems to reduce emissions creating large arid zones is another matter.

There's talk of the UK looking to produce lithium.

The Poot 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
As you say BeeGiner, established forests are carbon neutral. But cutting them down and burning them will not only release CO2, at the scale of deforestation that has happened over the past 6 decades or so, it will also release billions of tons of water that will raise sea levels and have an impact on ocean currents.
And yet the causeway to Lindisfarne still behaves as it always has. No apparent rise in sea level there.....

The Poot 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Is that because the tectonic plate we are sat in the middle of is still rising ?
I think it’s more that the sea level hasn’t risen, despite what the experts say.

Karol 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
So when fossil fuel vehicles get scrapped and replaced with EVs, our journeys will be monitored for tax purposes as HMG will otherwise lose £40 billion in tax revenue.

Another reason why synthetic e-fuels synthesized from atmospheric air capture is the way to go. Much easier to tax a litre of e-fuel at the pump and don't have to install lots of charging points.

Gilberdyke John 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
On the threat to bees of climate change I would think virtually none. The bee’s themselves will evolve, if they need to, to tolerate the climate changes, after all bees are currently found all over the planet. There might be some habitat loss due to the sea level rising and there will probably be some habitat gain from receding glaciers and higher snow lines. There might also be a marginal change in flora as some plants move their range into the higher latitudes and some become rare or even extinct but nothing I can see that bee’s won’t be able to cope with.
I am happy to be contradicted if someone see’s things differently.
Bees survived the Medieval warm period (amongst others) and ice ages so I have no cause to think they will be worried.

Karol 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
But they won't do so well if their forage dies as a consequence of acid rain from the hydroflouric acid released by the decaying mountain of lithium hexafluorophosphate batteries that will be needed to power all our EVs and the repurposing of water for lithium extraction.

jenkinsbrynmair 

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
Of course the biggest worry is that the EV's are so quiet that the bees won't hear them coming until SPLAT they become one with the windscreen

Latest posts